Sign in to follow this  
VaBeach_Eagle

Baker Mayfield storms away from media

Baker Mayfield storms away from media after "dumbest question you could ask”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/30/baker-mayfield-storms-away-from-media-after-dumbest-question-you-could-ask/

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield is getting testy with reporters asking him about the team’s offensive struggles.

Mayfield was speaking with the media today when longtime Cleveland sports reporter Tony Grossi questioned him about a Browns drive that stalled in Sunday’s loss to the Patriots. As Grossi interjected with a question, Mayfield got short with him.

"Stop saying but,” Mayfield told Grossi. "I just told you the clock was running and we had a penalty. You want to give them the ball back? No. You don’t play, you don’t know. That’s just plain and simple.”

Grossi asked, "Were you happy with that drive?”

"Was I happy with the drive? No, we didn’t score points,” Mayfield said. "That’s the dumbest question you could ask. What? Jesus, Tony.”

With that, Mayfield stormed off, ending his media session.

The Browns are struggling on the field, and it appears that things aren’t going swimmingly for them off the field, either.

Dumb question but the kid's gotta learn to keep his head.  Not the drug abuser like Manziel, that we know of, but he seems headed down a similar path. Jeez the Browns can really pick em. 

In Baker's defense, it was a dumb line of questions. He's clearly frustrated right now to walk out in the middle of a press conference.

I don't mind mistakes from a young player caused by passion and the desire to win. You figure he'll mature over time, but the will to win will remain.

3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

At this point, I'm just glad he's not an Eagle.

Ditto.

Lol where are all the guys that guaranteed Mayfield was a lock to be the awesome?? I know one of them is banned . 

Reporter says Baker Mayfield "had been disrespectful so many times”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/30/reporter-says-baker-mayfield-had-been-disrespectful-so-many-times/

The reporter who felt the wrath of Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield today after asking what Mayfield called the "dumbest question you could ask” says that it wasn’t the first time he and Mayfield haven’t seen eye to eye.

Veteran Cleveland sports writer Tony Grossi said on ESPN 850 in Cleveland that he’s not trying to pick a fight with Mayfield but also feels that Mayfield is needlessly antagonistic when he asks questions.

"I didn’t want to be in a confrontation with the quarterback of the Cleveland Browns, but he had been disrespectful so many times in the last couple weeks in response to simple questions by me,” Grossi said.

Grossi and Mayfield have a history: Grossi reported before the 2018 NFL draft that Mayfield had demanded first-class airfare when making pre-draft visits and suggested that made Mayfield a prima donna, something people close to Mayfield took issue with. Grossi said today that Mayfield’s issue with him stems from that.

"I think it goes back to the pre-draft conversations we had, things I said, things I wrote. OK, fine, but you have to move along,” Grossi said. "I tried to talk to him twice, alone, but he just wants no part of that. If he’s not going to do that I have to do my job as best as I can.”

Grossi said he’s uncomfortable becoming a part of the story but stands by the way he conducted himself when questioning Mayfield.

1 hour ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Lol where are all the guys that guaranteed Mayfield was a lock to be the awesome?? I know one of them is banned . 

To be honest, I laughed at Mayfield similarly to how ESPN laughed at Daniel Jones. He’s already accomplished more than I thought he would accomplish.

Was Baker Mayfield’s abrupt press conference ending a sign of something bigger? Berea Report (video)

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/10/was-baker-mayfields-abrupt-press-conference-ending-a-sign-of-something-bigger-berea-report-video.html

BEREA, Ohio -- The Browns are getting ready to face the Broncos on Sunday in Denver, but first we saw quarterback Baker Mayfield storm off following a line of questioning from a reporter during his weekly press conference.

Does this signal something bigger? Is it a one-off? Mary Kay Cabot, Dan Labbe and Ellis L. Williams offered up their reactions to the situation and talked about Mayfield’s response on Twitter shortly after it happened. They also talked about the role the team’s record and sluggish start is playing in everything.

Kitchens was the wrong hire. He isn't a HC.  Mayfield has regressed and their defense isn't as promising as it was at the end of last year.  Odell is missing in action.  I had a feeling the Browns were still going to fall short of the playoffs despite the hype.   Their ownership sucks and that tends to trickle down.

1 hour ago, CaliEagle said:

Kitchens was the wrong hire. He isn't a HC.  Mayfield has regressed and their defense isn't as promising as it was at the end of last year.  Odell is missing in action.  I had a feeling the Browns were still going to fall short of the playoffs despite the hype.   Their ownership sucks and that tends to trickle down.

They were just dumb. Why give up Williams who had high level NFL experience before when you didn't have to? He made the Browns stable and showed what it could be like having a good setup on both sides of the ball. 

Just not smart. 

Young kid who played well last year and who's not producing right now. On a team with lots of talent that is way underperforming. They are feeling that pressure. 

I’ll preface this by saying I still don’t like Mayfield, and don’t wish him success, but now having heard about the exact question he was asked, I will say that the reporter did ask a real dumbarse question that deserved a harsh response. 

Stupidity of the question aside, you gotta take it in stride. I don't think Mayfield has the temperament or perspsective to be a successful NFL QB.

1 hour ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Stupidity of the question aside, you gotta take it in stride. I don't think Mayfield has the temperament or perspecitve to be a successful NFL QB.

Absolutely agree. I don’t care for his temperament. I think a QB should show a lot more maturity and leadership. At the same time, I’m not a big fan of the media, so I’m not heartbroken when one of them gets ripped for asking something dumb lol. 

14 hours ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

2 wins 7 commercials 

Yeah I'm not defending Baker because he needs to cut down on the commercials and start worrying about playing better.

At the same time the media does ask stupid questions.  I really wish they would stop doing in game interviews between quarters and at half, for any sport.  Only time coaches and players should do interviews are after the game.  Before and during let them concentrate on the game at hand and not worry about explaining to Maria Taylor or Lisa Salters about why their team has 3 turnovers at the half and what the team needs to do going forward. Coaches and players pretty much give the same answers all the time anyway...…...we got to play better, execute better, secure the ball, play with more poise, blah, blah, blah.

Give him time to grow up a little and he might behave differently. In the end, I really don't care that much about the Browns' QB.

4 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Give him time to grow up a little and he might behave differently. In the end, I really don't care that much about the Browns' QB.

Well I don't think the browns care about the browns QB either. 

43 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Well I don't think the browns care about the browns QB either. 

Perhaps one day, the homeless in Cleveland will recommend a good QB for them.