Sign in to follow this  
AlpineEagle

Week 9: Cowboys @ Giants

25 minutes ago, Hefty Smurf said:

Wentz, Blount, Agholor, Jeffery, Smith, Celek, Ertz, L Johnson, Vaitai, Wisniewski, Kelce, Brooks.

Wentz, Howard, Agholor, Jeffery, Whoever for broke down Jackson, Goddert, Ertz, L Johnson, Peters / Dillard, Seumalo, Kelce.

Not a huge difference in Roster from the SB year and this year.

Yup.  The two big differences so far, have been the stretch of games where Jackson/Goedert/Jeffrey were all hurt and the amount of really tough pass defenses forcing us into more run oriented attacks.  Oh, and Agholor sucks again.

Next up is the Patriots, another team you'd rather run on than throw on.  After that I fully expect the passing game to start putting up numbers.

1 hour ago, Hefty Smurf said:

yeah, 

Wentz, Blount, Agholor, Jeffery, Smith, Celek, Ertz, L Johnson, Vaitai, Wisniewski, Kelce, Brooks.

Wentz, Howard, Agholor, Jeffery, Whoever for broke down Jackson, Goddert, Ertz, L Johnson, Peters / Dillard, Seumalo, Kelce.

yeah, problem for Philly is Jeffrey is hurt and maybe has lost a step and Agholor has fallen off a cliff ...if they were simply playing at the 2017 level, Philly would be ok

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

Eagles shouldn't be crying in thier milk, we do have the best TE combo in football, but obviously throwing to TE's will hurt the sexiness of your stats.  Game scripts also need to be considered.  Last 2 games Dak has been killing bad secondaries of NY/Philly, Wentz has been managing running attacks against the much more stout Bills & Bears.  Those scripts will flip with the december schedules.

Going back to Dak, i really think he finally grew up as a slinger in those losses to GB & Jets.  yeah, they lost, but it was really the first time we saw him put the game on his back when Zeke had been eliminated as a threat.  Last 2 games they put up 37 & 38 and its getting harder and harder to tell who is setting up who.

Dallas has actually seemed to play better when they come out throwing and then run....I don't have the breakdown...but I saw one where Dallas scores a lot more points when they throw on early downs vs run

30 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Yup.  The two big differences so far, have been the stretch of games where Jackson/Goedert/Jeffrey were all hurt and the amount of really tough pass defenses forcing us into more run oriented attacks.  Oh, and Agholor sucks again.

Next up is the Patriots, another team you'd rather run on than throw on.  After that I fully expect the passing game to start putting up numbers.

If we're talking about talent difference between this current Eagles squad and the Superbowl winning one, I think we are close to equally talented at the running game, our tight ends are the same or better, the offensive line after some struggles have played like we know they can.. but the receiving group has been a massive let down.

Jeffery has notably regressed since 2017. He's slower, probably playing hobbled, and his hands and concentration aren't there.

Agholor in 2017 and 2018 looked like a player that belonged in the NFL. This season he looks like his rookie and Sophomore season, a guy who when on the field is detrimental to your team winning. He is in a massive slump. Luckily for us it isn't injury related... and he can get back to at least being servicable for us which will go a long way down the stretch.

Jackson hasn't played at all unfortunately. The production we got from Torrey Smith compared to JJAW and Hollins is night and day since they've done nothing.

Then as you mentioned the last few games they've played dictated a more run heavy approach. Even if our receivers were better I still think we would of seen a similar game plan against the Bills/Bears. Unfortunately I don't think it's sustainable. We'll see how the Eagles manage down the stretch of the season.

3 minutes ago, Stephen1 said:

yeah, problem for Philly is Jeffrey is hurt and maybe has lost a step and Agholor has fallen off a cliff ...if they were simply playing at the 2017 level, Philly would be ok

The two games that stick out were against the Falcons and the Lions. better receiver play from Agholor especially in those ones would of resulted in W's instead of L's. I'm saying this only because the margin was way too close and his poor performance pretty much was the factors in both games, with a dropped TD and a fumble against the Lions.

I don't think receivers would of solved the game against the Vikings, unless they can cover the other teams WR.

I don't think better receivers would of helped against the Cowboys, but maybe the game stays more competitive. After two horrible turnovers and scores with the defense bending over, the team look like it literally quit. Maybe with better receivers they have more confidence in getting back into the game, but the way this current Eagles team is built is to manage and not force a shoot-out, we just don't have that explosiveness at all.

Luckily the Eagles have almost finished off the hardest part of their schedule.

to finish the season they have:

vs NE

vs SEA

at MIA

vs NYG

at WSH

vs DAL

at NYG

It's hard to envision them not picking up 4 wins against Miami, Giants and Washington who are horrible teams. Their 3 tough games are at home. I think they'll need to go 2-1 in those games, with a win over Dallas, to get into the playoffs. The way the rest of the NFC is shaping up so far, a 10-6 record won't cut it. They can go 1-2 in those games and get in if it's over Dallas.

Cowboys remaining schedule looks like this:

vs Min

at Lions

at Patriots

vs Bills

at Bears

vs Rams

at Eagles

vs Redskins

The only dumpster fire they are facing is the Redskins. While I don't think the Lions or Bears are good teams, they are good enough to catch an unprepared team. If the Cowboys can lose to the Jets they can lose to the Lions and Bears if not careful. If Eagles can manage 5-2 down the stretch and go 10-6, Cowboys will have to be 5-3. But with 4 of their 5 wins coming against dumpster fire teams in the Giants, Redskins and Dolphins, you wonder if they can replicate success against better teams. They did respond nicely by dismantling the Eagles after being embarassed by the Jets, but then it's also questionable if philly is really that good of a team.

Second half is shaping up to be good

3 hours ago, gch said:

So just because Dallas has better receivers doesn’t mean that Dak is overrated. Dak may not have Wentz arm strength but Dak’s leadership and other abilities are above that of Wentz. Both QB’s are not a Brady and will never be but we can both win a SB with either one of them. 

1 hour ago, Stephen1 said:

I think this is a little overblown...Dallas. for all their "talent" at receiver, lead the NFL in drops, they had 5 last night, and while the int was 100% on Dak, he has 3 this year that went off receivers hands.while Wentz has zero.... Philly has a huge advantage at TE.... There is no denying Dak is getting more help than Wentz at this point, but I just don't feel Dak is being carried either..

This^, have to take supporting cast into consideration, Dak appears to be playing better, but is also getting more help...Eagle fans need to keep this in mind thought when thinking about 2017...the Eagles were #1 in rushing and had a good WR group...while Dak had a 1 legged Dez and a over the hill Witten.

Bottom line, both QB;s are good enough to win with 

Just wait until Cowboys have to pay him what he wants. Soon after that, Dak would have a weaker team around him. Cowboys actually had leverage on Dak (to possibly pay him like $29M/year); they just didn't use it. They could have benched Dak and bring in a QB like Fitzpatrick or draft one in lower rounds. They won't be doing much worse with Fitzpatrick. Cowboys would have had leverage since not very many teams, if any, would have wanted to give Dak a $35M+/year deal after seeing him previous 3 years and sitting this year. Cowboys other mistake as firing Linehan a year too early. Cowboys screwed up on both accounts, and they'll have to pay price for it.

12 minutes ago, Northern Green Wings said:

The two games that stick out were against the Falcons and the Lions. better receiver play from Agholor especially in those ones would of resulted in W's instead of L's. I'm saying this only because the margin was way too close and his poor performance pretty much was the factors in both games, with a dropped TD and a fumble against the Lions.

I don't think receivers would of solved the game against the Vikings, unless they can cover the other teams WR.

I don't think better receivers would of helped against the Cowboys, but maybe the game stays more competitive. After two horrible turnovers and scores with the defense bending over, the team look like it literally quit. Maybe with better receivers they have more confidence in getting back into the game, but the way this current Eagles team is built is to manage and not force a shoot-out, we just don't have that explosiveness at all.

Luckily the Eagles have almost finished off the hardest part of their schedule.

to finish the season they have:

vs NE

vs SEA

at MIA

vs NYG

at WSH

vs DAL

at NYG

It's hard to envision them not picking up 4 wins against Miami, Giants and Washington who are horrible teams. Their 3 tough games are at home. I think they'll need to go 2-1 in those games, with a win over Dallas, to get into the playoffs. The way the rest of the NFC is shaping up so far, a 10-6 record won't cut it. They can go 1-2 in those games and get in if it's over Dallas.

Cowboys remaining schedule looks like this:

vs Min

at Lions

at Patriots

vs Bills

at Bears

vs Rams

at Eagles

vs Redskins

The only dumpster fire they are facing is the Redskins. While I don't think the Lions or Bears are good teams, they are good enough to catch an unprepared team. If the Cowboys can lose to the Jets they can lose to the Lions and Bears if not careful. If Eagles can manage 5-2 down the stretch and go 10-6, Cowboys will have to be 5-3. But with 4 of their 5 wins coming against dumpster fire teams in the Giants, Redskins and Dolphins, you wonder if they can replicate success against better teams. They did respond nicely by dismantling the Eagles after being embarassed by the Jets, but then it's also questionable if philly is really that good of a team.

Second half is shaping up to be good

I think a healthy DJax would change the whole complexion of the Eagles offense and the division race....

I think it'll come down to the winner of the 2nd Eagles/Dallas game

23 minutes ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Just wait until Cowboys have to pay him what he wants. Soon after that, Dak would have a weaker team around him. Cowboys actually had leverage on Dak (to possibly pay him like $29M/year); they just didn't use it. They could have benched Dak and bring in a QB like Fitzpatrick or draft one in lower rounds. They won't be doing much worse with Fitzpatrick. Cowboys would have had leverage since not very many teams, if any, would have wanted to give Dak a $35M+/year deal after seeing him previous 3 years and sitting this year. Cowboys other mistake as firing Linehan a year too early. Cowboys screwed up on both accounts, and they'll have to pay price for it.

This is the dumbest thing i have ever read.  Somebody should take away your internet privileges for this  Here let me fix it for you. 

25 minutes ago, Stephen1 said:

I think a healthy DJax would change the whole complexion of the Eagles offense and the division race....

I think it'll come down to the winner of the 2nd Eagles/Dallas game

Nah it’s done

14 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Nah it’s done

it's not, Dallas won't be able to run away with the division....only the skins game is a definite...maybe the Bears.....even optimistically....I see the below happening....pretty much every game is losable and this year Dallas has found ways to lose to teams that don't suck a few times and even those that do (Jets)

DALLAS

vs Min - L

at Lions - W (think they either win this or the rams game)

at Patriots - L

vs Bills -W

at Bears - W

vs Rams - L

at Eagles

vs Redskins -W

9 wins

33 minutes ago, Hefty Smurf said:

This is the dumbest thing i have ever read.  Somebody should take away your internet privileges for this  Here let me fix it for you. 

You're okay with Dak having leverage and him getting paid $35M+/year?

3 hours ago, Hefty Smurf said:

Disagree. Jeffrey is a shadow of his 2017 self. Agholor has regressed massively too. The OL is older. No deep threat. No Reich.

1 hour ago, gameshowfan91 said:

You're okay with Dak having leverage and him getting paid $35M+/year?

He had leverage the day they made him the starter and Romo retired.  You don't bench your franchise QB in a contract year to get "leverage".  Dallas has had a discount for 4 years with him.

6 hours ago, Hefty Smurf said:

It's a bit disingenuous to look at a roster in name only and factor in nothing else. Have you seen Jeffery play this year? He can't catch, and he moves like he's running in mud. Agholor is back to his pre 2017 days, and we have no other dependable receivers. Hollins and JJaw have as many receptions over the last 5 games as you and I do. Not TDs mind you, RECEPTIONS! Ertz had zero drops in 2017. He's had a number this year. This is no where near what the 2017 roster was.

5 hours ago, Hefty Smurf said:

He had leverage the day they made him the starter and Romo retired.  You don't bench your franchise QB in a contract year to get "leverage".  Dallas has had a discount for 4 years with him.

And what are we talking? To Save 3-4 mil per year?

what hosed Dallas was that they had to clear Romo, Dez and a couple other contracts off the books and weren’t able to really take advantage of the fact that Dak was making a few 100k by being more aggressive in FA until this year...and such as maybe signing some better play makers to help Dak out ...or spend a little extra on some defenders that could create turnovers...

Eagle fans are complaining that Wentz doesn’t have anyone to through too. So in 2017 and early 18 when Dak didn’t have a number 1 receiver and really not even a true number 2 the media didn’t say that Dak didn’t have anyone to throw too they just said he wasn’t a franchise QB. 
I reason Philly doesn’t have a top receiver is because they continue to bring in these older guys and hope they workout or stay healthy. They need to draft a top WR but would probably require them to trade up. 

16 minutes ago, gch said:

Eagle fans are complaining that Wentz doesn’t have anyone to through too. So in 2017 and early 18 when Dak didn’t have a number 1 receiver and really not even a true number 2 the media didn’t say that Dak didn’t have anyone to throw too they just said he wasn’t a franchise QB. 
I reason Philly doesn’t have a top receiver is because they continue to bring in these older guys and hope they workout or stay healthy. They need to draft a top WR but would probably require them to trade up. 

yeah, I recognize Wentz has no weapons on the outside, so I try to cut him slack, but the irony is rich with Eagles fans, not only did Dak have nothing at WR or TE, the OL was banged up and he was getting DESTROYED and it was "Dak sucks" and now they want everyone to be understanding when Wentz still has a great OL, good running game and maybe the best 1-2 punch at TE in the NFL...