SBorBust

Myles Garrett Assault Needs Its Own Thread

For those who didn’t see the end of the TNF game, here is what happened: 

15 seconds left in the game. Myles Garrett and Mason Rudolph were kind of wrestling on the ground well after Rudolph released the football. Markice Pouncey and another linemen (DeCastro) separated the two. As they were getting up, Garrett took off Rudolph’s helmet, swung the helmet as hard as he could at Rudolph, and hit him in the top of the head with it (mostly with the padding, but some of the hard part must have connected). Rudolph’s neck compressed at contact.

The two Steelers linemen then protected their quarterback. Pouncey punched Garrett a few times on the ground, then eventually got a few (not vicious) kicks in. Not much damage was done, but Garrett is probably lucky his helmet stayed on.

During the ensuing scrum Browns linemen Larry Ogunjobi shoved Rudolph to the ground from behind.

This was Rudolph’s second game back from a nasty concussion.

20 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

15 seconds left in the game. Myles Garrett and Mason Rudolph were kind of wrestling on the ground well after Rudolph released the football. Markice Pouncey and another linemen (DeCastro) separated the two. As they were getting up, Garrett took off Rudolph’s helmet, swung the helmet as hard as he could at Rudolph, and hit him in the top of the head with it (mostly with the padding, but some of the hard part must have connected). Rudolph’s neck compressed at contact.

The two Steelers linemen then protected their quarterback. Pouncey punched Garrett a few times on the ground, then eventually got a few (not vicious) kicks in. Not much damage was done, but Garrett is probably lucky his helmet stayed on.

During the ensuing scrum Browns linemen Larry Ogunjobi shoved Rudolph to the ground from behind.

:lol:

Pouncey should get suspended too. If 66 wasn't on top of him I think he'd get some harder kicks

34 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

Not sure I would call it garret and Rudolph wrestling on the ground. Garret threw Rudolph down well after the ball was out and held him down while Rudolph was trying to get up and despite help from the o linemen garret would not let go. Your writing makes it look like Rudolph has some blame in this. His only fault was being a QB for the Steelers. 

There was 2:00 left in the game and I said I’m not going to sleep, just had a feeling something was going to happen. It was a hard hitting game. 

54 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

Garrett is lucky if he doesn't get charged with assault with a deadly weapon.  Truly disgusting.

1 hour ago, lorddevn said:

Not sure I would call it garret and Rudolph wrestling on the ground. Garret threw Rudolph down well after the ball was out and held him down while Rudolph was trying to get up and despite help from the o linemen garret would not let go. Your writing makes it look like Rudolph has some blame in this. His only fault was being a QB for the Steelers. 

I was trying to be completely objective in the first post. Honestly, it looked to me like they took each other down. Garrett got the best of him at the end, but I think part of the reason for the assault was his inability to punk a quarterback.

4 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

I was trying to be completely objective in the first post. Honestly, it looked to me like they took each other down. Garrett got the best of him at the end, but I think part of the reason for the assault was his inability to punk a quarterback.

Yea you need to watch it again. That’s not being objective, that’s being obtuse. He threw the ball and was trying to get garret to stop as he’s suppose to but garret kept going and threw him down. Rudolph had no leverage to wrestle or take him down in the position he was in. 

5 minutes ago, lorddevn said:

Yea you need to watch it again. That’s not being objective, that’s being obtuse. He threw the ball and was trying to get garret to stop as he’s suppose to but garret kept going and threw him down. Rudolph had no leverage to wrestle or take him down in the position he was in. 

I just watched it again. My initial analysis is still correct.

Can we get back to the point of the post?

13 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

I just watched it again. My initial analysis is still correct.

Can we get back to the point of the post?

Yes we can garret deserves a full year suspension for instigating and starting the whole incident while Rudolph did nothing wrong. 

also if you were truly not trying to be objective, you would have posted a video which the EMB makes it easy to do instead of clearly posting your bias opinion on the incident. 

The Browns are a trash organization, with a trash roster and a trash coach. Extremely undisciplined. Way too many hits to the head last night, including the helmet swing. 

Senseless. The game was over. There was no need for this. Garrett put some extra in the hit on Rudolph. Rudolph grabbed Garrett's helmet in the scrum, so he's not without fault. But it's nothing compared to Garrett yanking Rudolph's helmet off and hitting him with it. The whole thing was ugly.

Suspend Garrett for the season. Haynesworth faced a 5-game suspension for stomping a player. Pouncey should be looking at that much.

12 minutes ago, toolg said:

Senseless. The game was over. There was no need for this. Garrett put some extra in the hit on Rudolph. Rudolph grabbed Garrett's helmet in the scrum, so he's not without fault. But it's nothing compared to Garrett yanking Rudolph's helmet off and hitting him with it. The whole thing was ugly.

Suspend Garrett for the season. Haynesworth faced a 5-game suspension for stomping a player. Pouncey should be looking at that much.

Pouncey threw punches and then started repeatedly kicking him. I think it would have been more if 66 wasn’t on top of him. Pouncey looked like he was trying to not kick his teammate in the head that was on top of him

2 hours ago, TV Guy said:

Lack of self-control. Pouncey too.

Even though his qb got manhandled after the ball was gone, then his helmet ripped off his head, them clocked with his own helmet.  

that kick was purely instinctual in that situation.  

he gets paid to protect his qb.  Thats what he thought he was doing.  I wouldnt suspend him but give him a fine 

3 hours ago, SBorBust said:

Rudolph also tried to remove Garrett's helmet and kicked him in the balls. Doesn't make any excuse for what Garrett did, but at least give the full story.

26 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

Even though his qb got manhandled after the ball was gone, then his helmet ripped off his head, them clocked with his own helmet.  

that kick was purely instinctual in that situation.  

he gets paid to protect his qb.  Thats what he thought he was doing.  I wouldnt suspend him but give him a fine 

I agree with the underlying sentiment of your post, however, in spite of the spirit of the law, the letter of the law doesn't give anyone the right to defend their QB with punches and kicks. Pouncey should likely get a game, with the consideration of why he did what he did, but, there shouldn't be a slap on the wrist that could ever encourage that kind of reaction in the future.

1 hour ago, BKLYNYG said:

The Browns are a trash organization, with a trash roster and a trash coach. Extremely undisciplined. Way too many hits to the head last night, including the helmet swing. 

bottom line 

36 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Rudolph also tried to remove Garrett's helmet and kicked him in the balls. Doesn't make any excuse for what Garrett did, but at least give the full story.

Yeah there's more video coming out. Garrett took him down late, not late enough to warrant a flag. Orginally it looked like Garrett wasn't letting go, but it was actually Rudolph who was kicking him and trying to take his helmet off. 

Of course what Garrett did was terrible, he should definitely be gone the rest of the season. Pouncey should be getting a game. Rudolph should probably get a game too, he most certainly instigated it.

3 hours ago, Northern Green Wings said:

Yeah there's more video coming out. Garrett took him down late, not late enough to warrant a flag. Orginally it looked like Garrett wasn't letting go, but it was actually Rudolph who was kicking him and trying to take his helmet off. 

Of course what Garrett did was terrible, he should definitely be gone the rest of the season. Pouncey should be getting a game. Rudolph should probably get a game too, he most certainly instigated it.

I've watched the play several times this morning frame-by-frame. Garrett should've let up and not taken Rudolph to the ground. The takedown was definitely late, but Garrett was essentially already engaged with Rudolph as the pass was released, so the initial contact was not late. I can understand Rudolph taking exception to the takedown, but trying to pull a guys helmet off is just dumb, and then after Garrett returned the favor and ripped off Rudolph's helmet, Rudolph continued to be an idiot by charging after Garrett. Suspend everybody.

4 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I've watched the play several times this morning frame-by-frame. Garrett should've let up and not taken Rudolph to the ground. The takedown was definitely late, but Garett was essentially already engaged with Rudolph as the pass was released, so the initial contact was not late. I can understand Rudolph taking exception to the takedown, but trying to pull a guys helmet off is just dumb, and then after Garett returned the favor and ripped off Rudolph's helmet, Rudolph continued to be an idiot by charging after Garrett. Suspend everybody.

I agree. While Garrett definitely deserves the largest and longest of the suspension and is no doubt a dirty player, to act like Rudolph is innocent in it all isn't a good look either. All the professional athletes here need to be held accountable, and not doling out punishment to everyone would also be a disservice from the NFL.

Up by 14 with only a few seconds left, why did the coach still have starters in the game....:whistle: