SBorBust

Myles Garrett Assault Needs Its Own Thread

6 hours ago, TV Guy said:

Lack of self-control. Pouncey too.

Pouncey was protecting his guy. He had just seen his QB smashed in the head with a weapon what do you expect him to do? No problem with what he did.  That's a man u want having your back. 

3 hours ago, mike030270 said:

Protecting your QB is pulling him out of harms way. Not punching and then kicking then while they are down

So if your buddy/teammate gets hit with a weapon in front of your face all you are doing is pulling him out of harm's way? I think not.

2 hours ago, mike030270 said:

changes things...

No it dosnt.

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Thinking back, wasn't a Hockey player charged with criminal assault after an incident on the ice?

Todd Bertuzzi was charged with assault in 2004:

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2016/02/09/some-notable-on-ice-incidents-that-led-to-criminal-charges/

Anyone trying to defend Garrett for assault looks like a moron. His own teammates arent even defending him. Btw props to Baker. First time he sounds like a grownup.

3 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

There's this too

I think that's the one I was thinking of, because I thought a stick was involved.

Why Browns defensive end Myles Garrett isn’t under criminal investigation for attacking the Steelers’ Mason Rudolph

https://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/2019/11/why-browns-defensive-end-myles-garrett-isnt-under-criminal-investigation-for-attacking-the-steelers-mason-rudolph.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Cleveland police on Friday had not opened an investigation into Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett’s Thursday night attack of Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph because Rudolph had not filed a police report, a department spokeswoman said.

Sgt. Jennifer Ciaccia told cleveland.com that Rudolph returned to Pittsburgh without filing a report to trigger a criminal investigation. Rudolph can still return to Cleveland to file the report if he decides to press charges in the future, Ciaccia said.

Rudolph’s agent, Tim Younger, told cleveland.com in a Friday text message that he had taken no options off the table when specifically asked if Rudolph would pursue assault charges.

At that point, Rudolph would either be referred to a city prosecutor to seek a misdemeanor charge against Garrett or police would assign a detective to investigate if he claims he suffered "serious physical harm" from the attack that would rise to the level of a felonious assault charge.

Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael O’Malley told cleveland.com Friday that his office was not involved in the incident. He added that he would conduct a review for potential felony charges if the city police or prosecutors ask him to do so.

"If there were to be an investigation, it would be initiated at the city level,” O’Malley’s office said in a statement.

Garrett drew widespread condemnation when he ripped off Rudolph’s helmet and then slammed it into the second-year quarterback’s head with eight seconds left in the Browns’ 21-7 victory over their arch rivals.

The attack spurred a melee that resulted in the ejection of Garrett and two other players -- Browns defensive tackle Larry Ogunjobi and Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey.

Garrett said after the game that he regretted his actions, and several of his teammates and head coach Freddie Kitchens denounced Rudolph called Garrett’s actions "bush league."

Younger addressed the incident in a tweet Thursday night.

"There are many risks an NFL QB assumes with every snap taken on the field. Being hit on your uncovered head by a helmet being swung by a 275 lb DE is not one of them. Tonight could have had a catastrophic ending. The matter will be reviewed thoroughly,” Younger tweeted.

The Steelers’ media relations office did not immediately return a request for comment.

Garrett faces a likely lengthy suspension from the league. But police said whether he faces criminal charges is ultimately up to Rudolph.

13 minutes ago, Uscg-Green said:

So if your buddy/teammate gets hit with a weapon in front of your face all you are doing is pulling him out of harm's way? I think not.

No it dosnt.

Different situation. They’re millionaires playing their job

11 minutes ago, Uscg-Green said:

Obviously the leagues opinion too as Rudolph was not penalized and Garrett is done.

Oh well🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Wasn’t Carson hit(not like this though) and no one did anything?

27 minutes ago, greenskeeper said:

When they play again give them all hand guns and they can recreate "the last Boy Scout”

I want to go out like Milo

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Why Browns defensive end Myles Garrett isn’t under criminal investigation for attacking the Steelers’ Mason Rudolph

I knew Rudolph should have worn a neck brace at his post game presser!

The worst thing that happened was Garrett Tomahawk chopped a dude on the exposed head with an NFL helmet.

The second worst thing that happened was Garrett dragged a man off the ground by his facemask.

If we were ranking these, then the next 3-4 bush league actions on the list were by Rudolph. Kick to the groin, possible punch to the groin later (can’t quite tell), pulling at Garrett’s helmet, not ending the fight after both were off the ground and Garrett was walking away.

Then after all that was the body slam. Don’t think it was a late hit, but he did put all his weight on the QB and appeared to hold him down. Nothing egregious, regular things that happen in a game. Everything Rudolph did was worse than this, because at least Garrett was making a football play.

If you notice, this list is in inverted chronological order. It was a fight that escalated, both are at fault.

But it in no way diminishes Garrett’s final act. You do that when someone pulls a knife on you, not when they’re being annoying. I think most people upset at Rudolph would have a different tune if Garrett hit him in the sweet spot and he was still in the hospital today. 

I went to bed with about 1:47 left in the game and didn't find out until this morning. My coworkers were all discussing it. It's gonna be a while before he gets back in the field. I hope the Browns cut him and the Eagles scoop him up. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Uscg-Green said:

That's not part of the game. That's assault.

Did I say that wasn't? What are you arguing about? I wasn't defending Garrett