toolg

Jason La Canfora: How 17-game season would work

This seems to be a leaked proposal regarding a potential 17-game season after 2019:

The proposal includes Week 1 still beginning after Labor Day, and the Super Bowl concluding the final Sunday of February (which could be bad news for The Oscars). It would allow the NFL to have playoff games on air throughout the month of February -- critical sweeps weeks for its broadcast partners -- and would include two byes for each team.

The additional game for each club would be played out-of-market, the sources said, with a heavy emphasis on key international locales like the United Kingdom (London and Ireland, in particular), Germany, Mexico and Brazil. It also opens the possibility of a full eight-game regular season schedule of games in London – something commissioner Roger Goodell is very supportive of -- with fans there able to buy a "season ticket," which would include at least two Jaguars games.

The NFL has also talked internally about playing games in other cities in the U.S. which do not have pro teams, with some buzz about playing a game at Notre Dame or Alabama, as well as Hawaii and cities in Canada. It is viewed as a unique and profound way to grow the game globally and extend the reach of sales, merchandising and broadcast rights around the globe, with there only so much more room for growth within America.

The preseason would be truncated to two games, but there is also strong support for each team participating in one scrimmage with another NFL team that would be officiated by NFL crews and could be held at NFL stadiums. Some league sources believe those scrimmages could end up being held for free to expose the game to young fans and segments of the market who may not be able to afford regular-season tickets.

Each team gets 2 byes. Playoffs will be extended through the end of February. It seems every team will play a neutral site game each season, either in London, in Canada, a college town, or somewhere else. Preseason will be reduced. Interesting.

18 hours ago, toolg said:

This seems to be a leaked proposal regarding a potential 17-game season after 2019:

Each team gets 2 byes. Playoffs will be extended through the end of February. It seems every team will play a neutral site game each season, either in London, in Canada, a college town, or somewhere else. Preseason will be reduced. Interesting.

Pretty much exactly what I have been for years now, cut PS to two games, replace with more full live intra squad scrimmages.  Add a bye, semi make the Jax/London Jags.  All of those points should be full go immediately. 

The 17th neutral site game is the only weird thing.  Not sure about that.  If I'm players union I counter that one with no regular season overtime.  Cutting into offseason recovery is a big issue for NFL.

2 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I really don't want the season lasting until March.

Ditto. Our players can’t get through week one as it is. 

cut pre-season to two games and leave the regular season alone

14 hours ago, NCTANK said:

cut pre-season to two games and leave the regular season alone

Add a bye!  You get an extra week of regular season economy and players get extra rest.

It's a pretty shameless move for higher revenue that will clearly decrease the quality of the product.

If you are serious about player safety, adding another game is a blatant contradiction.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:16 AM, EagleJoe8 said:

Ditto. Our players can’t get through week one as it is. 

That's because Doug stopped playing starters in preseason

Lots of people in TATE were in favor of this because they were afraid of injuries and were ok with the slow start to the season

Lol injuries still happened though

On 11/20/2019 at 8:18 AM, dawkins4prez said:

Add a bye!  You get an extra week of regular season economy and players get extra rest.

As part of any agreement like this, they need to get rid of Thursday night football the first 4 weeks, and only teams coming off a bye should play Thursday night games.  You then get 11 days off before the game and 9 days off after.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:14 AM, EaglesRocker97 said:

I really don't want the season lasting until March.

I do, maybe an Eagles Super Bowl win will one day fall on my birthday!

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I do, maybe an Eagles Super Bowl win will one day fall on my birthday!

What day, a March 19 super bowl title would be great for my birthday.

Wow these greedy **** really don't give a flying fig about players and their health. This kind of season would wreak havoc on an NFL player's body.

Roster size needs increasing. And, if they want out of market games, why not some in areas of the US that dont have a team? Guess theres no reward for the people that helped them build the game to where it is.

On 11/21/2019 at 6:45 PM, downundermike said:

What day, a March 19 super bowl title would be great for my birthday.

If the proposal were to become reality the super bowl would be the last Sunday in Feb. 

On 11/19/2019 at 8:58 AM, dawkins4prez said:

Pretty much exactly what I have been for years now, cut PS to two games, replace with more full live intra squad scrimmages.  Add a bye, semi make the Jax/London Jags.  All of those points should be full go immediately. 

The 17th neutral site game is the only weird thing.  Not sure about that.  If I'm players union I counter that one with no regular season overtime.  Cutting into offseason recovery is a big issue for NFL.

Actually I like the 17th game on a neutral site proposal as long as it stays within the US.

5 hours ago, wentzday said:

Actually I like the 17th game on a neutral site proposal as long as it stays within the US.

That won't happen - London is the main non NFL market they are going after.

I also wonder who the 17th game is against. Current scheduling with one AFC and one NFC division etc all works. Personally I like the idea of a cross-conference rival every year (e.g. Pennsylvania Bowl)

On 12/2/2019 at 4:07 PM, kiwieagle said:

That won't happen - London is the main non NFL market they are going after.

I also wonder who the 17th game is against. Current scheduling with one AFC and one NFC division etc all works. Personally I like the idea of a cross-conference rival every year (e.g. Pennsylvania Bowl)

I could get on board with the whole yearly PA bowl idea! I guess the only question would be (since it seems like the division rotations would still exist) who would our other game be against on years that we play the AFC North. 

42 minutes ago, wentzday said:

I could get on board with the whole yearly PA bowl idea! I guess the only question would be (since it seems like the division rotations would still exist) who would our other game be against on years that we play the AFC North. 

Just two rivalry games that year? We do that for divisional games in any case. It'd be only once every four years.