toolg

Jason La Canfora: How 17-game season would work

Not a big fan of playing the same team every year for the 17th game. Can potentially create an advantage going against a team every year who’s terrible more years than not vs a team going against a perennial contender year in and year out. That last game should rotate and be tied to one of the non conference teams in a division you’re not playing already, who had the same place finish you did last year. 

On 11/21/2019 at 6:28 PM, downundermike said:

As part of any agreement like this, they need to get rid of Thursday night football the first 4 weeks, and only teams coming off a bye should play Thursday night games.  You then get 11 days off before the game and 9 days off after.

Actually, as I would do it with 19 Weeks:

Season would start the week preceding Labor Day with ALL teams in Week 1 playing in prime time: NBC's opening game on Tuesday with doubleheaders at probably 7:20/10:45 PM ET on CBS on Wednesday and FOX on Thursday (no games Labor Day weekend or on ESPN in Week 1).

Week 2 begins with ESPN getting their season opening DH on Wednesday.  NBC gets Thursday Week 2 (likely hosted by loser of Super Bowl game) otherwise, normal schedule Sun-Mon.

Week 3 Thursday night football is on FOX with teams that played Wednesday or Thursday in Week 2 playing that game, likely on FOX/NFL Network.  Normal schedule otherwise

Week 4: First week of Thursday football with teams coming off a bye week (NFLN-only games Weeks 4-5).

Week 19: All games in one conference at 3:00 PM ET and the other at 8:15 PM ET with games divided equally between all of the broadcast partners.  NBC gets first pick in each time slot, FOX & CBS split picks 2-3, ABC gets 4th pick, ESPN (also on LivWell or Laff, ABC DT2-3 channels) 5th pick, NFLN (also FOX DT-2 Channel MOVIES or DT-4 Channel BUZZR) 6th Pick, CBS for CBSSN (also on CBS DT-2 Channel DECADES) and FOX for FS1 (also whichever of MOVIES or BUZZR doesn't air NFLN game) split picks 7-8.  Games on the cable outlets air on the over-the-air outlets of the home team and in those markets, the over-air games air instead on the cable and digital sub-channels.  The scheduling is similar to how its now done in MLB and has been done in most pro sports leagues worldwide for years.  

If every human on Earth besides Wally suddenly disappeared, I still would not want him controlling the NFL schedule. 

On 12/2/2019 at 7:55 PM, Road to Victory said:

I love following stats and records and every season record would eventually be broken with an extra game. For that reason, I don’t like it. 

I'm actually the same way. 

Sources: NFLPA to vote on 17-game season in new CBA

In a critical step that may change the NFL landscape for at least the next 10 years, the NFL Players Association will convene again after Super Bowl LIV to conditionally vote for or against a 17-game regular-season schedule that likely would commence in 2021 as a new collective bargaining agreement is on the brink of a make-or-break situation, according to sources.

All 32 team player representatives, along with the NFLPA executive board, will meet at an undisclosed location to review a 10-year labor contract for the second time within a week that, as one source described, the players have the option to "accept the one thing they hate, a 17-game season, in exchange for 10 or more things they want."

The NFLPA gauged a group of select player agents who were invited on Thursday in Miami to discuss a contentious players' union meeting that lasted more than six hours to review the proposed new CBA, which has been negotiated for months with NFL owners, sources said.

The agents were included in talks primarily to discuss the ramifications of the players' rejecting the current proposal, a move that would require extensive planning for a potential lockout and work stoppage in 2021, when the current labor agreement expires, sources said.

The window for a new agreement to be in place "is closing" with urgency for the owners, who are prepared to table their proposal and play out the last year of the deal, a league source said. That scenario would raise the stakes on another work stoppage next year.

The player reps who met Thursday were "just about unanimous" against a 17-game expansion, only to morph into a more conciliatory tone as they were led through the point-by-point analysis of the proposal, a source said. That session concluded with the decision to have another meeting this coming week.

There is a real possibility the players will ask their negotiating team to see whether the owners are willing to consider other concessions, both financially and in further reducing the overall workload in training camp and the preseason, which could be shortened to two or three games.

According to sources, some of the highlights of the CBA proposal:

• The NFL will have an option to establish a 17-game regular season that would not kick in until at least the 2021 season, with the option tied to new revenues in pending TV and media contracts.

• If there is an agreement in place before the new league year in March, the new deal would take effect immediately for the 2020 season, bumping up the players' share of revenues immediately under a 16-game format.

• The players will receive an annual fixed share in the 48 percent range of an anticipated larger revenue pool and also greater spending minimums for clubs.

• The 2020 season also would likely include an extra playoff game, pending the owners' approval at the annual league meetings in March.

• Changes to the league's drug policy would nearly eliminate punishments to players who test positive for marijuana.

• The on-field discipline fine schedule will be modified significantly in the players' favor.

• The players would gain increases to benefits to former players, including a continuation of the legacy fund.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28619220/sources-nflpa-vote-17-game-season-new-cba

2 hours ago, madriver said:

Nothing about increasing roster size? 

No, Roger submitted a written plan to increase rooster sizes, hoping that the NFLPA wouldn't catch the extra o and think that they were getting increased rosters... so each now franchise gets one of these... direct from Roger's giant rooster farm.

383b2d255eaf78ff7b555f828faceb25.thumb.jpg.3879337389720014814d8a7bab68a3c8.jpg

On 12/2/2019 at 7:55 PM, Road to Victory said:

I love following stats and records and every season record would eventually be broken with an extra game. For that reason, I don’t like it. 

You are aware prior to 1978 the season was only 14 games.  And was actually only 12 at one point. 

10 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

You are aware prior to 1978 the season was only 14 games.  And was actually only 12 at one point. 

Yes, and just about all the important records have been broken since 1978. Some not just broken, obliterated.

25 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I don't like the fact that there would be an uneven number of home and away games.

I think the 17th game is supposed to be tied to a neutral site, possibly more overseas type games. 

If not, then I would agree, I would hate the imbalance. 

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I think the 17th game is supposed to be tied to a neutral site, possibly more overseas type games. 

If not, then I would agree, I would hate the imbalance. 

17th game is to cover most, if not all of the international games.  You may have the outlier like the Jaguars play an extra home game or two in London for revenue reasons, but otherwise, that is the purpose of this. 

As I have said before, I'd have the non-international neutral site games be interconference at a neutral site close to both team's fan bases when possible.  For example, I would have:

Jets-Giants at Met Life where half the tickets go to each team's season ticket holders.

Giants-Ravens at The Linc (some NFL stadiums would get the chance to host a neutral site game).

Eagles-Steelers at Beaver Stadium at Penn State

Cowboys-Texans at Daryl K. Royal Stadium in Austin, TX

49ers-Broncos at the new Raiders Stadium in Las Vegas.

These are just some examples. 

2 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

17th game is to cover most, if not all of the international games.  You may have the outlier like the Jaguars play an extra home game or two in London for revenue reasons, but otherwise, that is the purpose of this. 

As I have said before, I'd have the non-international neutral site games be interconference at a neutral site close to both team's fan bases when possible.  For example, I would have:

Jets-Giants at Met Life where half the tickets go to each team's season ticket holders.

Giants-Ravens at The Linc (some NFL stadiums would get the chance to host a neutral site game).

Eagles-Steelers at Beaver Stadium at Penn State

Cowboys-Texans at Daryl K. Royal Stadium in Austin, TX

49ers-Broncos at the new Raiders Stadium in Las Vegas.

These are just some examples. 

Aside from division games obviously, I'm not a fan of adding a new yearly rivalry with the same team all the time. I would do an out of conference game, but it would be on a rotation with one of the 3 divisions you don't play, and it'd be based on the previous year's finish.

6 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Aside from division games obviously, I'm not a fan of adding a new yearly rivalry with the same team all the time. I would do an out of conference game, but it would be on a rotation with one of the 3 divisions you don't play, and it'd be based on the previous year's finish.

That is exactly how I would do it.  The 17th game would be non-conference at a neutral site.  The idea is to bake certain sites for certain non-conference games to be neutral site games where both teams fans can go.   

4 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

That wouldn't really be a 'neutral' site, even if they pretend that half the tickets go to both teams. In a season where one team sucks more than the other, the less sucky teams fans would buy tickets from the more sucky teams fans. Or, if both teams suck equally, the stadium would be more than half empty.

Not to mention that the stadium is the home stadium for both teams. So both teams would be at 'home'.

I know it's not going to happen, but I'd really rather they go to an 18 game schedule and have every team get 9 home games and 9 away games. For the international games, just keep the current system going as it is. While I'm at it, I'd also want to see the TNF games get abolished in the new CBA as a concession for allowing a 17th game.

On 11/21/2019 at 6:43 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I do, maybe an Eagles Super Bowl win will one day fall on my birthday!

Happy birthday.

6 hours ago, Prime said:

Happy birthday.

Thanks, I hadn't even realized that it was already here until I noticed that yesterday was the 1st (and was my aunts birthday).