Sign in to follow this  
Road to Victory

Cowboys could lose Cooper & Jones in Free Agency

52 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I'll take Cooper for sure. I'd be shocked if he actually got away though.

They can’t pay everyone. They already spent a ton on money on their OLine, Zeke and some key players on D. They have some tough decisions to make. 

29 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

They can’t pay everyone. They already spent a ton on money on their OLine, Zeke and some key players on D. They have some tough decisions to make. 

They actually still have a ton of money and we already dumped a ton into the receivers we have. 

28 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I guess you wouldn’t know but Dallas has a lot of cap space next year and JJ can sign anyone he wants too. 
Just like any team they can find ways to sign players they want to keep. 

32 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Singing Cooper would be great because it does two things: helps us and hurts Dallas. 

Just like DeMarco Murray right?

In all seriousness, yeah to Cooper. Jones, you have to be careful. Their secondary coach is the innovator of the legion of boom. Might turn into Maxwell 2.0.

11 minutes ago, gch said:

I guess you wouldn’t know but Dallas has a lot of cap space next year and JJ can sign anyone he wants too. 
Just like any team they can find ways to sign players they want to keep. 

Yeah, they do have some flexibility with $66m in cap space. I’m sure they can probably restructure a few other contracts to make some room. If Dak gets what he wants, that’s $35-$40m , Cooper will probably be in the $15m-$18m range and Jones probably in the $12m-15m range.

With no CBA after 2020, the Cowboys can use both tags, so what is likely to happen, if no extensions are signed before then, is, Dak will get the franchise tag and Cooper will get the transition tag. The transition tag will give them the right of first refusal, which means they can match any offer to Cooper. The transition tag for 2020 is estimated to be $15.926 million.

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders/

I would also add that OTC shows the Cowboys with $21,589,737 in current cap space. OTC is also showing the Cowboys with $87,836,022 in cap space for 2020. They can roll the $21.589 million in space that they currently have into 2020, which would give them $100 million+

I'm hoping another teams offers Cooper a bunch of money and he gets a bidding war so Dallas has to pay a crap load of money to him

31 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

With no CBA after 2020, the Cowboys can use both tags, so what is likely to happen, if no extensions are signed before then, is, Dak will get the franchise tag and Cooper will get the transition tag. The transition tag will give them the right of first refusal, which means they can match any offer to Cooper. The transition tag for 2020 is estimated to be $15.926 million.

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders/

I would also add that OTC shows the Cowboys with $21,589,737 in current cap space. OTC is also showing the Cowboys with $87,836,022 in cap space for 2020. They can roll the $21.589 million in space that they currently have into 2020, which would give them $100 million+

I think the $87m is the $66m in cap space in 2020 plus the $21m carry over from this year. I don’t think they will have $100m+. The bottom line is they should be able to re-sign whoever they want. The article’s not that accurate. 

17 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

This is what OTC says:

AFF57405-7FA6-4BBD-905E-88122C418BFC.png

That's off by $2 million lol. If you take their 2020 liabilities and subtract it from the base salary cap it shows them with $68.2 million in cap space. Even if they are adding the $21 million to get to $87 million, they still have plenty to sign players and I don't want Byron Jones. He's most likely odd man out of the trio.

80519166_Estimated2020CapSpace.png.356562a2d82f6fa971c0f426c8795c86.png

1144740386_Cowboys2020Liabilities.png.4a0654eba9d3428069f3663aa23d10ad.png

Subtract that top number from the number in the red box and it comes out to $68.2 million, so even if they are adding the rollover money, it's still $2 million off, it would come out to $89.795 million..

Dallas will have to sign JaylonSmith in a few years as well. 
They have drafted well but the last few drafts have not been so good. 
Dak being a 4th round pick really saved them a lot in cap space over the last 4 years. Stephen Jones is much better at managing the numbers then Jerry was. When Jerry just wanted a player he just signed him without even considering the cap hit or traded draft picks. Remember the Roy Williams trade. One of the worst he has ever done. 

21 minutes ago, gch said:

Dallas will have to sign JaylonSmith in a few years as well. 

He's under contract through 2025, they signed him to a 5 year $63 million contract this past August.

24 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

He's under contract through 2025, they signed him to a 5 year $63 million contract this past August.

I didn’t know that so that’s one more player not to worry about. 

12 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd love us to go get Cooper. It was a real mistake for Howie not to trade for him last year. 

You remember how Eagle fans and most of the NFL media crucified Dallas for making the trade. I even thought it was a bad idea since the trade was made out of desperation. 

20 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd love us to go get Cooper. It was a real mistake for Howie not to trade for him last year. 

4 minutes ago, gch said:

You remember how Eagle fans and most of the NFL media crucified Dallas for making the trade. I even thought it was a bad idea since the trade was made out of desperation. 

If I'm not mistaken, had Eagles traded for Cooper, they wouldn't have LT Andre Dillard. I would take a franchise LT over a franchise WR.

4 hours ago, gch said:

I was hopeful that losing a 1st round pick would come back to bite Dallas. I never thought them aquiring Cooper in and of itself was a bad thing. I hated that he went there. 

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I was hopeful that losing a 1st round pick would come back to bite Dallas. I never thought them aquiring Cooper in and of itself was a bad thing. I hated that he went there. 

At the time it happened, Cooper was not seen as a premier WR any longer. That is why so many were surprised in my opinion. 
His relationship with Dak has been key to his success. 

Brinson of CBS wrote that story, a life-long always wishing 'Dallas drops dead' sports 'journalist', because he had nothing intelligent to write about this season that is happening right now.

Cooper is not going anywhere, because he and Dak are on the same page, proffessionally and personally. And Dallas does have the money, another calculator had them at $71 million.

Yes, Jaylon Smith has already been signed long term.