Sign in to follow this  
OaktownGangstah

Ex NFL players as Announcers and Media analysts.

Hey Team:

Some ex players and QB's  from enemy teams have become really good in the media and I wanted to share just my brief opinions:

Ever Liston to  Tom Brady on Monday night games or on his broadcast show>? he is pretty damned fair.

Vick, Tony Gonzales are really good

I do like Brady and Aikmen as announcers (hated them as players of course) and  they are fair and intelligent in their assessments.

Same dibs for Mike Strahan and Howie Long and Jim Plunkett *yea Raiders of course. I know Eagles fans hated the Raiders and Giants for many reasons but these guys are excellent. Howie Long can also be an awesome actor looks like a marine. Mike Strahan has truly impressed me and he deserves all the credit for his TV presence also in entertainment. The Barbers are good also, hehe hello NYC, Tampa.

I have nothing good to say about Chris Collinsworth and Chris Sims. Payton Manning would be perfect for Primetime, and yeah Dion was funny as Primetime entertainment hehe.

The coaches: Love seeing Ditka, Cowher, Tony Dungy,

Where is Brett Favre?? I would love his insight:) instead of just commercials. Just sayin'. 

Saving my Eagles favorite broadcasters: On radio or Air love Ike Reese,

Booger McFarland is like listening to that drunk at the end of the bar babble on about everything in the game.  He's the worst one yet. 

Favre is a f------ moron who was a great, but unpredictable QB with a cannon for an arm.  I don't want to listen to any "insight" from him......He drove every coach who coached him crazy.

I am old enough to remember John Madden announce games in the 1980's, when he was both knowledgeable and fun to listen to, before he became a mock of himself. (John Madden was drafted by the Eagles, got injured and retired before playing professionally, before becoming a famous head coach.) His longtime partner in the booth was a former NFL player; Pat Summerall played as a kicker. Romo is fantastic when he's calling a good game. I don't mind Collinsworth. He brings his personality into the broadcast, where he is self-centered and kind of annoying, but he still knows what he's talking about. Favre is dumb as bricks. He'd be like a dumber version of Terry Bradshaw with an even thicker accent. Peyton Manning would be great in the booth if he wants to, judging from his past commercials and SNL appearances.

3 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Booger McFarland is like listening to that drunk at the end of the bar babble on about everything in the game.  He's the worst one yet. 

Favre is a f------ moron who was a great, but unpredictable QB with a cannon for an arm.  I don't want to listen to any "insight" from him......He drove every coach who coached him crazy.

Turrible

18 hours ago, OaktownGangstah said:

Hey Team:

Some ex players and QB's  from enemy teams have become really good in the media and I wanted to share just my brief opinions:

Ever Liston to  Tom Brady on Monday night games or on his broadcast show>? he is pretty damned fair.

Vick, Tony Gonzales are really good

I do like Brady and Aikmen as announcers (hated them as players of course) and  they are fair and intelligent in their assessments.

Same dibs for Mike Strahan and Howie Long and Jim Plunkett *yea Raiders of course. I know Eagles fans hated the Raiders and Giants for many reasons but these guys are excellent. Howie Long can also be an awesome actor looks like a marine. Mike Strahan has truly impressed me and he deserves all the credit for his TV presence also in entertainment. The Barbers are good also, hehe hello NYC, Tampa.

I have nothing good to say about Chris Collinsworth and Chris Sims. Payton Manning would be perfect for Primetime, and yeah Dion was funny as Primetime entertainment hehe.

The coaches: Love seeing Ditka, Cowher, Tony Dungy,

Where is Brett Favre?? I would love his insight:) instead of just commercials. Just sayin'. 

Saving my Eagles favorite broadcasters: On radio or Air love Ike Reese,

Manning will be a front office guy before a broadcaster IMO. 

5 hours ago, toolg said:

I am old enough to remember John Madden announce games in the 1980's, when he was both knowledgeable and fun to listen to, before he became a mock of himself. (John Madden was drafted by the Eagles, got injured and retired before playing professionally, before becoming a famous head coach.) His longtime partner in the booth was a former NFL player; Pat Summerall played as a kicker. Romo is fantastic when he's calling a good game. I don't mind Collinsworth. He brings his personality into the broadcast, where he is self-centered and kind of annoying, but he still knows what he's talking about. Favre is dumb as bricks. He'd be like a dumber version of Terry Bradshaw with an even thicker accent. Peyton Manning would be great in the booth if he wants to, judging from his past commercials and SNL appearances.

Madden and Summerall was my favorite duo ever. 

disagree on Romo. He annoys me. Spends the whole broadcast trying to show how smart he is instead of just calling the game. 

- Tony Romo teaches me something every game.

- Ronde Barber is probably the worst. Whether it be rules discussions or situational analysis, he is almost always wrong.

- Darryl Johnston is almost as bad as Barber.

- 🔥 Hot Takes - I enjoy listening to both Joe Buck and Chris Collinsworth.

- You need to hear Brent Musberger cut a "Manscaped” promo. It’s surreal.

Romo is the best now IMO, just like that. Many. many others are good. Some (Deion, McFarland, Barber) are like torture to listen to. Shannon & Skip are disgusting. Most women in sports programs are annoying because they really have no business being there; unless they have big 'marimbas' of course; not that I am being shallow or anything.

On 12/3/2019 at 6:49 PM, nipples said:

He annoys me. Spends the whole broadcast trying to show how smart he is instead of just calling the game. 

As a color guy, it's really not his job to "call the game" so much as it is to analyze the play and give his opinion. I don't know what makes you think he's trying to "prove how smart he is." I don't really detect any arrogance in his voice. He doesn't really reference himself at all. He pretty much just calls it like he sees it, and it's usually right.

What annoys me about Romo isn't anything he actually says but how he says it. I've noticed lately that he usually speaks with no inflection. Everything is stated so matter-of-factly, like he's bored. It's not his commentary; it's his delivery.

ESPN is so desperate to keep their costs down that they are subjecting us to Booger McFarland who probably doesn't cost very much in terms of ex-players. But, someone has to be better than him out there?  Even if it isn't an ex-football player, as long as they can offer some insight.  Booger offers no insight and he used to play the game. 

greg olsen will be really good if he ever retires.  they actually had him do a game during carolina's bye week & he sounded like a pro. 

On 12/4/2019 at 10:53 AM, EaglesRocker97 said:

He was going on about a strip-sack a few weeks back and repeatedly called it a "sack-caused fumble."

Funny you should say that, I got that impression also. Soon he will go into > coaching.