Wallyhorse

Texans Meltdown vs. Chiefs -- Does Bill o'Brien deserve to be fired?

Texans Meltdown vs. Chiefs  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fire Texans Head Coach Bill o'Brien following Sunday's (1/12) EPIC MELTDOWN in Kansas City against the Chiefs?

• Yes
    • No

At 24-0 in the 2nd qtr you (can pretty much just play smart and weather the storm because you know the chiefs are going to attack hard. But you dont have to do much on offense other than protect the ball and maybe kick a couple fg’s

they couldnt play smart or weather the storm. 

i dont know that loss could have a rippling effect into next season and beyond.

In 1974, Notre Dame took a 24-0 lead in the first half against USC. They ended up losing 55-24. It was Ara Parseghian's last regular season game as head coach. Yesterday's Texans-Chiefs game gave me that same vibe. When it was 24-0, I joked to my father that "no team in history has ever come back from a deficit like that!" 

Something about teams in Houston blowing epic leads. Anyone remember when the Houston Oilers were up in similar fashion only to lose the game to the Buffalo Bills? I believe it was one of those AFCCG's.

1 hour ago, The_Talon said:

Something about teams in Houston blowing epic leads. Anyone remember when the Houston Oilers were up in similar fashion only to lose the game to the Buffalo Bills? I believe it was one of those AFCCG's.

I think it was actually a wildcard game.

2 hours ago, The_Talon said:

Think it was 35-0 at the half and the Oilers lost 38-35.  IIRC

Pat Mahomes caught fire and regained his MVP form against one of the worst defenses in the NFL, that's the bottom line here.  The scoring runs made it weird but I don't see what Bill O'Brien was supposed to do different to win that game.  Now I'm no fan of BOB but the Texans have some glaring roster construction issues that point to their GM problem.

How many resources have they blown on an O-Line that still stinks to high heaven?  And how did they let a dominant defense in its prime just leave town?

10 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

The scoring runs made it weird but I don't see what Bill O'Brien was supposed to do different to win that game.  Now I'm no fan of BOB but the Texans have some glaring roster construction issues that point to their GM problem.

He could have shown bigger balls to go for it on 4th and 1. A TD there instead of a FG could of been enough. Now it may not but that decision shifted the momentum completely. 

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He could have shown bigger balls to go for it on 4th and 1. A TD there instead of a FG could of been enough. Now it may not but that decision shifted the momentum completely. 

I have a tough time buying the momentum spiel in a 20 pt. loss.

1 minute ago, dawkins4prez said:

And that's completely fair... But the momentum doesn't shift when it does if Houston go and score again there. 

2 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Same here. Let's be real, the better team started slow, got their sheet together then blew the doors off the lesser team. Simple as that.  

53 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

Same here. Let's be real, the better team started slow, got their sheet together then blew the doors off the lesser team. Simple as that.  

Which btw is a pretty normal flow of events for divisional round playoffs.  Elite team coming off bye starts rusty, falls behind early, gets it together and then beats down the inferior and worn down team that barely survived the wild card.  This time it was just epically dramatic on both ends.

23 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Which btw is a pretty normal flow of events for divisional round playoffs.  Elite team coming off bye starts rusty, falls behind early, gets it together and then beats down the inferior and worn down team that barely survived the wild card.  This time it was just epically dramatic on both ends.

And that's absolutely fair and right... But 24 points? I mean that's a huge missed opportunity for Houston it really is. 

17 hours ago, The_Talon said:

Frank reich at the helm

15 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Think it was 35-0 at the half and the Oilers lost 38-35.  IIRC

28-3 at the half, turned into 35-3 in the 3rd quarter. Ended up 41-38.

That was the early game, that day. The late game was Eagles-Saints, where the Eagles beat the Saints 36-20. Reggie got a safety in that game and I can remember Fred Barnett making a great catch for a touchdown and Merrill calling it a 'Circus Catch'.

14 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

Frank reich at the helm

He was also at the helm of the biggest comeback in NCAA Football history, Maryland-Miami, in 1984.

On 1/12/2020 at 8:59 PM, RepPhilly said:

They got out to the 24-0 lead because of blown coverage, a blocked punt and a fumbled punt.  Then Houston gave the lead right back with similar special teams mistakes.

He should be on thin ice but I think he gets 1 more year to at least get them to the AFCCG especially if NE and their dominance may be over.

18 hours ago, GNS_CLFD said:

That team really has so many pieces in place.   He did blink on that 4th and one play and then compounded that mistake on the fake punt.   I would keep him another year, but expect it all to come together and at least be in the AFC championship game. 

If I'm D Watson, I don't sign a long-term deal with Texans until O' Brien gets fired.

19 hours ago, Northern Green Wings said:

I don't know if he deserves to be fired because of the collapse. He should be fired because of his body of work. You can blame the decision to not go for it on 4th and short and kicking the field goal on him (I don't think it was the worst call at the time, but don't use the time out which they could of used later to do so.) The fake punt was also a terrible call. But he's also not going out there telling his guys to not cover Kelce, or fumble kick-offs either.

That being said it's not like he was impressive before that so I can see him gone. Unfortunately when you fire a head coach after the post-season some of the good coaching candidates are already gone. I'm not sure that's the case this off-season, but the fear would be firing him to replace him with someone worse.

There's Ravens OC Greg Roman and Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy.

O'Brien may still have a job but it looks like Crennel may be out.

The Houston Texans will transition to a new defensive leader in 2020.

Defensive line coach Anthony Weaver is expected to become the Texans defensive coordinator, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Monday morning, per sources informed of the situation.

Weaver's elevation to DC comes as the Texans are moving on from longtime assistant Romeo Crennel. Pelissero and NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Crennel isn't expected to return as defensive coordinator.

The Texans will have more meetings this week to determine what role, if any, Crennel will have with the team moving forward. With his contract expiring, Crennel could return as a senior assistant or retire. The 72-year-old has been the Texans defensive coordinator since 2014 after head coaching stints in Cleveland and Kansas City. His time in Houston has been marked by some stellar game plans -- particularly against the New England Patriots -- but far too much inconsistency, including the inability to adjust on the fly in the postseason loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

More at:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001098041/article/texans-expected-to-name-anthony-weaver-as-next-dc