Sign in to follow this  
boogyman

Luke Kuechly

Just saw this. Man I remember when Patrick Willis retired and thought that was a shock. Now Kuechly too.

Those linebackers take some punishing blows. 

I think he is making the right decision. He has a history of concussions and his physical playing style puts him at the risk for more. Plus, Carolina is transitioning under a new coach. So, they are probably a few years away from being a SB contender. So, when you weigh all of that, it makes sense for him to get out now.

1 minute ago, CaliEagle said:

I think he is making the right decision. He has a history of concussions and his physical playing style puts him at the risk for more. Plus, Carolina is transitioning under a new coach. So, they are probably a few years away from being a SB contender. So, when you weigh all of that, it makes sense for him to get out now.

Certainly better timing than Andrew Luck.

15 minutes ago, Quiet Boy said:

Certainly better timing than Andrew Luck.

With Kuechly, it was the concussions, with Luck, it was the rest of his body.  now I don't want to dismiss Luck's injuries, but with Luke, the head is the most important thing, and if that goes, life really after football really don't mean a thing. 

My co-worker was just messing with me and told me Malcolm Jenkins was retiring.

I started getting excited tbh.

56 minutes ago, astrofed said:

With Kuechly, it was the concussions, with Luck, it was the rest of his body.  now I don't want to dismiss Luck's injuries, but with Luke, the head is the most important thing, and if that goes, life really after football really don't mean a thing. 

Yeah, completely different injury situations. I just appreciate Luke's handling of the business side of football.

I wonder if Kuechly has intentions or interest in coaching?🤔

While it's always a bit of a surprise when a young player retires, this isn't really that big of a shock, considering his history with concussions.

I'm sure Panthers fans are fairly depressed over this news, though.

With his concussion history this isn't a surprise.   He probably figured with a new coach and Newtons status undecided, it is going to be a rebuilding project that won't get them back to the playoffs for 3 to 4 years and he would be 32-33 by then.  

There’s no point F’ing around and risking something happening that will affect the rest of your life. I mean, just look at the hit Wentz took from Clowney? Hopefully there are no lingering issues from that.

That's a big blow for Carolina and for the NFL. Losing young star players is a big loss but they have to do what's right for them. 

I think the first player that I can recall who had many concussions, and then retired because of it, was Jets WR Al Toon. That was quite a while ago, probably close to 30 years ago, now... just looked it up, it was 1992 when he retired after his 9th concussion (he was 29 at the time). I'm not sure how many people on here remember him, seeing as it was so long ago.

He was a pretty good receiver but as you can imagine, 9 concussions really cut his career short and if I remember correctly, concussions also forced Steve Young to retire.

Congrats to a great role model on and off the field by all accounts.  CTE is a thing, getting out now will hopefully add many more productive years to his life.

NFL = Not For Long---------->  Jerry Glanville.

16 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I think the first player that I can recall who had many concussions, and then retired because of it, was Jets WR Al Toon. That was quite a while ago, probably close to 30 years ago, now... just looked it up, it was 1992 when he retired after his 9th concussion (he was 29 at the time). I'm not sure how many people on here remember him, seeing as it was so long ago.

He was a pretty good receiver but as you can imagine, 9 concussions really cut his career short and if I remember correctly, concussions also forced Steve Young to retire.

Travis Best the running back for the Lions had to retire after I think his 3 season of his career because he had a few concussions within a couple of seasons and couldn't pass any concussion protocols he was like 23. 

44 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Travis Best the running back for the Lions had to retire after I think his 3 season of his career because he had a few concussions within a couple of seasons and couldn't pass any concussion protocols he was like 23. 

Travis Best? I don't even vaguely remember that name lol. When did he play?

11 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Travis Best? I don't even vaguely remember that name lol. When did he play?

My mistake I meant jahvid best. But here is the information. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahvid_Best

Regarding the pick, Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said, "Some people watch adult videos on their computer... I go to YouTube and watch Jahvid Best highlight clips. That’s what gets me aroused."[30]

that is a fun quote from it lol

Just now, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Oh ok, I do remember him. Don't know if I knew that concussions shortened his career, though.

Yes his was really bad. I just put another part in my post from our defensive coordinator lol

Travis Best was a point guard for Georgia Tech back in the day lol. 

9 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

Travis Best was a point guard for Georgia Tech back in the day lol. 

Played for quite a while for the Pacers