Captain F

Did the Saints help cover up child sex abuse????

This sounds really really bad.  If the Saints ownership indeed helped to cover up child sex abuse by the church,  I don't even know where the punishment would start.  Or end.  

https://www.fox4now.com/news/national/new-orleans-saints-fight-in-court-to-keep-emails-regarding-catholic-church-sex-abuse-scandal-private

The New Orleans Saints are going to court to keep the public from seeing hundreds of emails that allegedly show team executives doing public relations damage control for the area’s Roman Catholic archdiocese to help it contain the fallout from a burgeoning sexual abuse crisis.

Attorneys for about two dozen men suing the church say in court filings that the 276 documents they obtained through discovery show that the NFL team, whose owner is devoutly Catholic, aided the Archdiocese of New Orleans in its "pattern and practice of concealing its crimes.”

"Obviously, the Saints should not be in the business of assisting the Archdiocese, and the Saints’ public relations team is not in the business of managing the public relations of criminals engaged in pedophilia,” the attorneys wrote in a court filing. "The Saints realize that if the documents at issue are made public, this professional sports organization also will be smearing itself.”

The Saints organization and its attorneys emphatically disputed any suggestion that the team helped the church cover up crimes. In a statement Friday, the Saints said the archdiocese sought its advice on how to handle media attention that would come from its 2018 release of its list of more than 50 clergy members "credibly accused” of sexual abuse.

"The advice was simple and never wavering. Be direct, open and fully transparent, while making sure that all law enforcement agencies were alerted,” the team said.

https://apnews.com/8a88d4d188c04751d9731a49081d5d3c

1 hour ago, Captain F said:

This sounds really really bad.  If the Saints ownership indeed helped to cover up child sex abuse by the church,  I don't even know where the punishment would start.  Or end.  

https://www.fox4now.com/news/national/new-orleans-saints-fight-in-court-to-keep-emails-regarding-catholic-church-sex-abuse-scandal-private

Why would they be punished (by the league)? If they didn't do anything illegal and didn't have any involvement in the actual abuse, then I don't know that they league would have any grounds to punish them.

That's not to say they the public shouldn't punish them, or that what they did was 'morally right' or 'proper'.

Maybe the league could punish them under the grounds of 'conduct detrimental to the league'. Since this could give the league a black eye.

36 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Why would they be punished (by the league)? If they didn't do anything illegal and didn't have any involvement in the actual abuse, then I don't know that they league would have any grounds to punish them.

That's not to say they the public shouldn't punish them, or that what they did was 'morally right' or 'proper'.

Maybe the league could punish them under the grounds of 'conduct detrimental to the league'. Since this could give the league a black eye.

"Conduct detrimental to the league" pretty much covers anything the NFL wants it to cover.

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I think you nailed it on the last part. Anything that reflects poorly on the league by an owner,  organization,  ect... I'm sure could be punishable.  And this is about as bad as it gets.  The owner of the Saints possibly assisted in the coverup of this would be huge.  

1 hour ago, Captain F said:

I think you nailed it on the last part. Anything that reflects poorly on the league by an owner,  organization,  ect... I'm sure could be punishable.  And this is about as bad as it gets.  The owner of the Saints possibly assisted in the coverup of this would be huge.  

It would depend on what's actually in the emails. If it's just advice on how to 'save face' or how to best 'ride out the storm', then I don't know that anything will happen to them. But if it's advice on covering things up, it could be bad for whoever wrote the emails as well as the franchise.

Would it be as bad as for... whoever the NBA owner was that was forced to sell, a few years ago? I don't know, but it'll be interesting to see how this goes and if the league tries to cover it all up.

Is it possible the NFL knew about this earlier and told the Saints they had to lose to the Vikings on purpose as punishment or face even stiffer punishment?

5 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Is it possible the NFL knew about this earlier and told the Saints they had to lose to the Vikings on purpose as punishment or face even stiffer punishment?

Facepalm Multiplefacepalm GIF - Facepalm Multiplefacepalm GIFs

image.jpeg.97effb1b1b9693fe3eca3b8cbd11379c.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

No. It is not possible. Quite the opposite, it is completely impossible. 

What planet are you from with these theories you come up with?

1 hour ago, boogyman said:

No. It is not possible. Quite the opposite, it is completely impossible. 

What planet are you from with these theories you come up with?

It used to be just crazy scheduling predictions. Wednesday night midseason games. Black Friday games in London, ect. But recently, he's gone into full blown, almost flat earth like crazy conspiracy theory mode.

25 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

It used to be just crazy scheduling predictions. Wednesday night midseason games. Black Friday games in London, ect. But recently, he's gone into full blown, almost flat earth like crazy conspiracy theory mode.

Realistically, no, but the Saints were completely flat against a Vikings team that got slaughtered by the 49ers the following week.

Okay, maybe that was too far, but maybe this story explains WHY the Saints were inexplicably flat against the Vikings?  

9 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Realistically, no, but the Saints were completely flat against a Vikings team that got slaughtered by the 49ers the following week.

Okay, maybe that was too far, but maybe this story explains WHY the Saints were inexplicably flat against the Vikings?  

Regarding the first line: I learned a long time ago that each game is it's own entity, and what happens one week has no bearing on what happens another week, injuries notwithstanding.

Regarding the 2nd line: Again, I would say no. As much as I hate the Saints, I would put none of this story on the feet of the players and coaching staff, who are actually tasked with being fully focused on the game itself. Until further evidence shows otherwise, I would be more inclined to believe the players and coaches have no knowledge of this situation, and all communications involved upper levels of Saints management.

Their punishment was losing the first-round bye, which worked out because of the clown convention in town that had booked all the hotel rooms and would've forced the NFl to play the playoff game on a Monday night.

14 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

So they could"t have just had a bad game, it had to be a second shooter from the grassy knoll?

This is insanely horrible if true.

The NFL at the very least will take draft picks and suspend coaches, etc. because that's really all they can do.

The bigger hit will be when the team takes massive lawsuit settlements up the butt, pun intended.

3 minutes ago, madriver said:

This is insanely horrible if true.

The NFL at the very least will take draft picks and suspend coaches, etc. because that's really all they can do.

The bigger hit will be when the team takes massive lawsuit settlements up the butt, pun intended.

This doesn’t sounds like an event necessitating the need to suspend coaches. Highly doubtful they have any involvement. 

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

This doesn’t sounds like an event necessitating the need to suspend coaches. Highly doubtful they have any involvement. 

Yeah, this isn't a football issue, like cheating or bounties and such. This situation, if it's them helping to cover up sexual abuse, is more of a 'you have to sell the team' sort of situation (if ownership can be shown to be involved), or 'you have to fire _____________' (fill in the name(s)), sort of situation.

Why would sexual abuse victims care if the Saints lost a 1st round draft pick, or if their coaches were suspended? Those sorts of punishments would be appropriate for football related infractions. Not for societal 'infractions'.

It’s always been a nasty, gaudy, sketchy dump of a franchise. F the Saints. F their lowlife ‘whistling’ fans. And F perma-duckface Sean Payton

Its the owner and her late husband,  the former owner that are being looked into.  They have donated millions to the church.  If it's proven that they helped cover up child sex abuse,  i have no doubt she will be forced to sell the team.  

On 1/26/2020 at 11:45 AM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Yeah, this isn't a football issue, like cheating or bounties and such. This situation, if it's them helping to cover up sexual abuse, is more of a 'you have to sell the team' sort of situation (if ownership can be shown to be involved), or 'you have to fire _____________' (fill in the name(s)), sort of situation.

Why would sexual abuse victims care if the Saints lost a 1st round draft pick, or if their coaches were suspended? Those sorts of punishments would be appropriate for football related infractions. Not for societal 'infractions'.

Yup.  There will be no football related punishment(s).  It would be top brass being fired or owner forced to sell 

1 hour ago, SNOORDA said:

Yup.  There will be no football related punishment(s).  It would be top brass being fired or owner forced to sell 

Or any mid-level PR people who might have been involved in the communications.

[wallyhorse]The league may make the Saints move to London, which has a low Catholic population, as punishment for assisting the Archdiocese. This will also help the commissioner get his team in Britain. The London Saints can host a Friday night game after Thanksgiving, starting a new tradition for a holiday that they don't celebrate over there.[/wallyhorse]

16 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

[wallyhorse]The league may make the Saints move to London, which has a low Catholic population, as punishment for assisting the Archdiocese. This will also help the commissioner get his team in Britain. The London Saints can host a Friday night game after Thanksgiving, starting a new tradition for a holiday that they don't celebrate over there.[/wallyhorse]

That is so spot on it's scary. Will the new owner want to be the bell of the ball tho?