AlpineEagle

Who will the Chiefs Play their Season Opener for TNF 2020 for Week 1?

Season Opener on TNF  

18 members have voted

  1. 1. Opener in Kansas City

    • New England Patriots
      8
    • New York Jets
      1
    • Denver Broncos
      1
    • Las Vegas Raiders
      6
    • Los Angeles Chargers
      0
    • Houston Texans
      2
    • Atlanta Falcons
      0
    • Carolina Panthers
      0


Recommended Posts

I have a feeling the NFL will be jamming the Raiders down our throats this year, so probably them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they would open against the Jets for a few reasons:

1. Allows the NFL to get the Jets non-regular TNF prime time appearance out of the way (teams who play the opener do play a second Thursday game during the season).

2. Brings in the New York market for the opener, which the station manager of WNBC-TV (Channel 4) likely wants given it is opposite the women's semifinals of the US Open Tennis Championships on ESPN (which does big numbers in New York as there are many who will watch that who don't watch Tennis the rest of the year), especially if one or both Williams sisters actually got that far (or Coco Gauff, who may by then be a big star along with Sofia Kenin, who actually won the Australian Open on Saturday).

3. It's an old-time AFL rivalry dating back to the beginning of the AFL (when the Jets were the Titans of New York and the Chiefs were the Dallas Texans) and they actually played in a playoff round at Shea the last time the Chiefs won it all.

4. Jets actually played well down the stretch and if Sam Darnold didn't go down with mono and/or they didn't blow the two games against the then-winless Dolphins and Bengals would have likely made the playoffs themselves.

5. Sam Darnold likely will improve going into next season.  

6. Allows the NFL to save the Pats and Texans for later in the season.  CBS likely will lobby hard to keep Pats-Chiefs as a main 4:25 PM ET game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad we don't play them again until 2021, the league would just love to pit Andy vs. Doug in this game, if they were on our schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'm glad we don't play them again until 2021, the league would just love to pit Andy vs. Doug in this game, if they were on our schedule.

NFL could not do that.  Eagles have to open at home in Week 1 unless they happened to be scheduled for the Week 2 Thursday nighter, and it's highly unlikely the NFL would put them in one of the NFL Network-only games that are in Weeks 2 & 3. The Phillies are at home after Thursday 9/17.  Eagles also have to be at home in Week 3.

That's why I think knowing the Seahawks have to open on the road because the Mariners are at home that weekend, the NFL does as the first of a three-part makeup to the Eagles for the Week 12 flexout this past season makes the 2020 Seahawks-Eagles game the opening Sunday nighter (with the other parts of such makeup Thanksgiving night at home against the Ravens and the following Thursday, also at home against the Cowboys). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the Chiefs open up on week 1 TNF. NFL changed that starting last year. It'll be 2 other teams playing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, heavywchamp said:

I don't think the Chiefs open up on week 1 TNF. NFL changed that starting last year. It'll be 2 other teams playing

They only changed it this year because of the NFL’s 100th season. The Bears and Packers are the oldest rivalry. It’s probably going to go back to normal now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’d be a bit funny if Atlanta got scheduled to play the opening Thursday night after both us and the Chiefs won the Super Bowl. Obviously there was a story line two years ago, and no connection here, but it’d still be funny. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, heavywchamp said:

I don't think the Chiefs open up on week 1 TNF. NFL changed that starting last year. It'll be 2 other teams playing

That was done just for this year under the guise of it being the 100th Anniversary season and wanting to open with the league's oldest rivalry (Packers-Bears), but to me the real reason the NFL did that was because of the controversies in the 2018 conference title games. 

If the NFL had opened with EITHER the Pats or Rams in the season opening game (depending on who won it all, which of course we know was the Pats), legislators in Missouri, Kansas and Louisiana likely open investigations into the NFL in retaliation for making their constituents have to see in this case the Pats in the first game of the NFL season against the Steelers.  Even if such went nowhere, they would still be placating certain constituents who were very upset by what happened, not unlike some Dodgers fans to the point where elected officials in LA were actually drawing up legislation trying to force MLB to award the 2017 and '18 World Series titles to the Dodgers due to the cheating the Astros and Red Sox did in those seasons.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another reason it won't be the Raiders:

The Raiders are almost certain to have their opening game be the late game of the opening Monday Night doubleheader at home as the first game in Las Vegas.  It would actually be the third straight year the Raiders opened in the late game of that doubleheader.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It won't be the Raiders because the NFL will have the open up their new stadium in week 1.  But I think an opener against a weak divisional team would make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 3:04 PM, toolg said:

Chiefs/Texans. Mahomes vs. Watson.

CBS will lobby hard to keep that game for the "November Sweeps." 

I suspect in this case, the station manager of WNBC-TV (Channel 4 in New York) will lobby hard to NBC brass at 30 Rock to have the opener be Jets-Chiefs specifically because it gives WNBC-TV a chance of getting a better rating for the opener opposite the women's semifinals of the US Open Tennis Championships on ESPN (again, in NYC US Open Tennis does big numbers because you have many who watch the US Open who don't watch Tennis at any other time of the year). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is it with you always saying the Jets will be in the big season opener?  You said that last year for the Patriots, and they played the Steelers; the Jets played the then-lowly Bills to open the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

What is it with you always saying the Jets will be in the big season opener?  You said that last year for the Patriots, and they played the Steelers; the Jets played the then-lowly Bills to open the season.

It’s about trying to make connections that aren’t there and never come to fruition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 10:36 AM, Wallyhorse said:

That was done just for this year under the guise of it being the 100th Anniversary season and wanting to open with the league's oldest rivalry (Packers-Bears), but to me the real reason the NFL did that was because of the controversies in the 2018 conference title games. 

If the NFL had opened with EITHER the Pats or Rams in the season opening game (depending on who won it all, which of course we know was the Pats), legislators in Missouri, Kansas and Louisiana likely open investigations into the NFL in retaliation for making their constituents have to see in this case the Pats in the first game of the NFL season against the Steelers.  Even if such went nowhere, they would still be placating certain constituents who were very upset by what happened, not unlike some Dodgers fans to the point where elected officials in LA were actually drawing up legislation trying to force MLB to award the 2017 and '18 World Series titles to the Dodgers due to the cheating the Astros and Red Sox did in those seasons.  

Nope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now