gameshowfan91

Anyone watching XFL?

Recommended Posts

My wife caught me watching some today.

Wife: What is this?

Me: A non-NFL football league. (I tried to explain it to her).

Wife: I totally do not understand this League.

Me: Me either.

*click* turned the channel to a college basketball game. Or the Food Network. Or anything else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 3:06 PM, gameshowfan91 said:

I am watching it right now. So far, no excess of flags. I like way they do kickoffs (no annoying touchbacks). Punts are really no different.  For both, if ball goes out of bounds or into endzone, opposing team starts at 35 yard line. I like PAT. For a successful attempt, it is 1 point at 2 yard line, 2 points at 5 yard line, 3 points at 10 yard line (no kicking PAT, which was really easy). I also really like Live Mic from head coaches. I also that there is a 25 second clock between plays. That can make for a more competitive last few minutes of games. One thing I'm not crazy about is receivers only need foot down for a catch; I think it should be 2 feet down. I'm also not into a running game clock (outside of final 2 minutes)- less chances of making plays.

I had proposed adding a three-point conversion from the 15 in previous ideas.  

I would actually go farther and do it this way in the NFL:

Extra point and two-point conversions remains as they are now
Three-point conversion from the 10-yard line
Four-point conversion from the 15-yard line
Five-point conversion from the 20-yard line
Six-point conversion from the 25-yard line

Then a 12-point lead can be a one-possession game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched most of the Seattle - Tampa Bay game. To me it looked like a non-SEC college game. They could start later, maybe middle of March or first part of April. I think I like it better than the arena league (RIP). At least the XFL plays on a full sized field.

Edit: I just read that the teams had 5 practices. I guess the level of play is understandable if there was no training camp. Of course some players just suck though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Folded yet?

The first game seemed promising. Every game since has been what we expected.

Two yard halfback dives and in-game coach speak can’t be what the league founders envisioned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SBorBust said:

The first game seemed promising. Every game since has been what we expected.

Two yard halfback dives and in-game coach speak can’t be what the league founders envisioned. 

I saw an article yesterday that the piss poor QBs in the league are going to lead to it's downfall once again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This league isn't going anywhere:

As much as SOME want to see it fail epicly (especially it seems people at NBC who were there when the original XFL crashed and burned in 2001), Vince McMahon is planning to lose as much as $500 MILLION over the next three years.  This for him is going to likely be his legacy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand these leagues......the XFL, AAFL, USFL.......whatever.  They put teams in cities where an established NFL team already exists.  Why?  There are plenty of cities in the US that would like to have a pro football team, even a 2nd tier league team.  Plus cities like San Diego, St Louis, Oakland who got f----- by the NFL may support a new team/league. I understand that big cities like NY, CHI or LA can provide more media coverage or bigger populations to pull fans, but those cities also have either 2 teams or die hard fan bases.

Then you have cities like Hartford, Huntsville, San Antonio, Raleigh, Orlando, Austin, Boise......They have college stadiums, some are growing well, and most don't have any pro sports teams.

I get that they want to compete with the NFL at some point, but going head to head with them in certain cities, or with the same time of year schedule is nuts. 

The old AFL only had 3 of 8 teams in NFL cities.....today's XFL has 7 of 8 in NFL cities.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

I don't understand these leagues......the XFL, AAFL, USFL.......whatever.  They put teams in cities where an established NFL team already exists.  Why?  There are plenty of cities in the US that would like to have a pro football team, even a 2nd tier league team.  Plus cities like San Diego, St Louis, Oakland who got f----- by the NFL may support a new team/league. I understand that big cities like NY, CHI or LA can provide more media coverage or bigger populations to pull fans, but those cities also have either 2 teams or die hard fan bases.

Then you have cities like Hartford, Huntsville, San Antonio, Raleigh, Orlando, Austin, Boise......They have college stadiums, some are growing well, and most don't have any pro sports teams.

I get that they want to compete with the NFL at some point, but going head to head with them in certain cities, or with the same time of year schedule is nuts. 

The old AFL only had 3 of 8 teams in NFL cities.....today's XFL has 7 of 8 in NFL cities.  

 

Has to do with TV..  Sure, the XFL could go into places like Memphis, Birmingham and so forth, but there are only eight teams right now.  If the XFL expands, you could see a few places like that with teams, but in much of the south, college football is actually BIGGER than the NFL, and that likely is a consideration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Xfl already declined in viewership in the second week. If it dips again this weekend they are going to already have a problem. Not only that you have March madness coming up, NFL free agency, spring training and the weather will start to get nicer and people will be outside. 

Also there is players already complaining they don't get paid enough and some just flat out rather not play at all then go to the xfl. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

I don't understand these leagues......the XFL, AAFL, USFL.......whatever.  They put teams in cities where an established NFL team already exists.  Why?  There are plenty of cities in the US that would like to have a pro football team, even a 2nd tier league team.  Plus cities like San Diego, St Louis, Oakland who got f----- by the NFL may support a new team/league. I understand that big cities like NY, CHI or LA can provide more media coverage or bigger populations to pull fans, but those cities also have either 2 teams or die hard fan bases.

Then you have cities like Hartford, Huntsville, San Antonio, Raleigh, Orlando, Austin, Boise......They have college stadiums, some are growing well, and most don't have any pro sports teams.

I get that they want to compete with the NFL at some point, but going head to head with them in certain cities, or with the same time of year schedule is nuts. 

The old AFL only had 3 of 8 teams in NFL cities.....today's XFL has 7 of 8 in NFL cities.  

 

I’d think adding teams to non-NFL cities is more a future goal. The thinking might be that putting teams in current, (or recent) NFL cities means there are existing pro football fans in the areas, and can help establish the league from the ground up. Other non-NFL cities may be added later on if things work out this go round for the XFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I’d think adding teams to non-NFL cities is more a future goal. The thinking might be that putting teams in current, (or recent) NFL cities means there are existing pro football fans in the areas, and can help establish the league from the ground up. Other non-NFL cities may be added later on if things work out this go round for the XFL. 

I agree, but putting teams in place where the NFL team has a such a loyal following doesn't seem to go well.  I do think in NY and LA, they have such huge populations and media, they can draw crowds and coverage.  But if they want to eventually compete with the NFL, it would make sense, to me,  to create teams in cities that want a pro franchise but may never get an NFL team.

Like I said, it seems to be how the old AFL successfully built itself years ago.....creating an alternate league that mostly starting in non-NFL cities.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Has to do with TV..  Sure, the XFL could go into places like Memphis, Birmingham and so forth, but there are only eight teams right now.  If the XFL expands, you could see a few places like that with teams, but in much of the south, college football is actually BIGGER than the NFL, and that likely is a consideration. 

You're right, in much of the south, college ball is huge.  But the XFL is playing in feb, march and april.  And that may be an opportunity to extend the football season after college football season is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Xfl already declined in viewership in the second week. If it dips again this weekend they are going to already have a problem. Not only that you have March madness coming up, NFL free agency, spring training and the weather will start to get nicer and people will be outside. 

Also there is players already complaining they don't get paid enough and some just flat out rather not play at all then go to the xfl. 

 

McMahon and the TV partners expected that.  This is a long-haul commitment.

Keep in mind, there was no real preseason in this league.  Also, the dropoff this time was not really anywhere close to as bad as the original league.  The AAF had all kinds of problems this XFL is not going to be dealing with this year and next and likely the year after.  McMahon has invested a TON and is willing to as said lose $500 Million over three years.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

McMahon and the TV partners expected that.  This is a long-haul commitment.

Keep in mind, there was no real preseason in this league.  Also, the dropoff this time was not really anywhere close to as bad as the original league.  The AAF had all kinds of problems this XFL is not going to be dealing with this year and next and likely the year after.  McMahon has invested a TON and is willing to as said lose $500 Million over three years.  

Yes it went from 3 million first weekend to 2million this passed weekend. They said if it drops down to one million in the up coming weeks then they already looking at AAF. Type numbers and a league can not survive on that kind of support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Yes it went from 3 million first weekend to 2million this passed weekend. They said if it drops down to one million in the up coming weeks then they already looking at AAF. Type numbers and a league can not survive on that kind of support. 

Don't see it dropping that far.  They are looking at small numbers at first and working upward.  Some prime time shows don't even get 2 Million nowadays.

Also depends heavily on demos.  If that 2 Million is mainly 18-49, that makes it more desirable than shows getting 10+ Million viewers in many cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now