VaBeach_Eagle

Flex Scheduling for MNF being considered

More flex scheduling could be on the way

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2020/02/10/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-flex.aspx

By Ben Fischer and John Ourand

February 10, 2020

The NFL has asked teams for feedback on the prospect of radically expanding flex scheduling, including the possibility of moving games from Sunday to Monday in mid-season, sources said.

Before the holidays, league executives posed an open-ended question to teams: How much flexing could they handle? How much advance notice would teams need if broadcasters wanted to switch a Sunday afternoon game to "Monday Night Football?” What if every week of the season were opened to flexing? 

The NFL did not propose a specific plan.

The idea is to push more compelling games to prime time.

Any flex scheduling changes would not take effect until new media rights deals kick in, starting with the 2023 season. Even though the NFL has not started formal negotiations with any networks, ESPN has let it be known that it wants to incorporate flexible scheduling as part of a new "Monday Night Football” deal.

ESPN wants to be able to flex out of late-season games that carry no postseason implications, like the Dec. 24, 2018, matchup between the 6-8 Denver Broncos and the 3-11 Oakland Raiders, or the Week 10 matchup earlier that season between the 1-7 New York Giants and the 2-7 San Francisco 49ers.

As an added enticement, ESPN has told the NFL that it would put "Monday Night Football” back on ABC if it ends up with the rights. ESPN’s "Monday Night Football” deal ends after the 2021 season, one season before the league’s other media rights packages expire.

It’s not just ESPN, though. NBC’s "Sunday Night Football” likely wants more options. With some exceptions, the NFL typically announces its flex games for Sunday nights 12 days before kickoff, starting in Week 5. NBC likely wants that time frame to be moved up. The NFL can flex only two games into Sunday night between weeks 5 and 10, another point that NBC likely wants to be relaxed.

Most clubs’ concerns have centered around road trip logistics and expenses, particularly with any potential flex involving "Monday Night Football.” Flights and hotel rooms would have to be booked for an extra day to account for the unknown, or altered at the last minute, which could become exorbitant.

"You can do it in a week if it has to be done, but there’s a number associated with that,” said one team executive.

Reaction varied widely. Small-market clubs eager for national exposure said they might value the prime-time window over the cost of changing. Western teams worry about the time zone implications. The teams delivered no consensus to the league.

Teams with fewer season-ticket holders would be less inclined toward allowing more night games than budgeted for, since single-game sales typically decrease for night games.

The league is mindful of the potential backlash from ticketholders who could see their personal schedules thrown for a loop if a scheduled game changes from Sunday to Monday or vice versa.

The first thing that they need to do is get rid of the current MNF crew and replace them with some more talented announcers. Bring Jaws back.

This actually would have happened in 2006 if MNF had stayed on ABC and SNF stayed on ESPN.  The current MNF is a beefed-up version of the old SNF ESPN package that aired from 1987-2005.

What I think is more likely to happen is a scenario where we have a Sunday night-to-Monday night flex option for if we have a repeat of what happened in Week 12 when Seahawks-Eagles was flexed out due to the fact reversing the DH that week just to keep in on SNF AND let FOX keep GB-SF would have resulted in a slew of unintended consequences.  Those consequences included potentially Trump to spite the NFL (due to his vendetta) reinstating the old "prime time access" laws on Sundays from 7:00-8:00 PM/6:00-7:00 PM CT that mandated that be news or children's programming following a massive number of complaints from elderly viewers of 60 Minutes, upset that it would have aired at 3:00 PM/2:00 CT in much of the country ahead of a CBS singleheader game (and in NYC in the overnight as NYC would have gotten a "Double Singleheader" of NYG-CHI, cross-flexed from FOX at 1:00 and OAK-NYJ at 4:25) so CBS could air all of its singleheader games (except NYG-CHI in that scenario) at 4:25 PM ET with the regional games on FOX pushed back to 4:45 to make sure DAL-NE ended before the regional games kicked off.  Such would also be in response to Weeks 13-14 when the 49ers played in what became marquee games that could not be moved for other reasons. 

In this case, such games likely would be moved to ESPN as an extra doubleheader (with if MNF did move back to ABC as has been proposed, on those weeks a DH where Game 1 is a 7:45 PM ET kickoff on ABC in the east/4:45 PM PT on ESPN in the west and Game 2 is an 8:15 PM PT kickoff in the west on ABC and 11:15 PM ET on ESPN in the east) with in such scenario the network losing a game to SNF getting compensated the following season.  That I think would work and would be a compromise.

14 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

This actually would have happened in 2006 if MNF had stayed on ABC and SNF stayed on ESPN.  The current MNF is a beefed-up version of the old SNF ESPN package that aired from 1987-2005.

What I think is more likely to happen is a scenario where we have a Sunday night-to-Monday night flex option for if we have a repeat of what happened in Week 12 when Seahawks-Eagles was flexed out due to the fact reversing the DH that week just to keep in on SNF AND let FOX keep GB-SF would have resulted in a slew of unintended consequences.  Those consequences included potentially Trump to spite the NFL (due to his vendetta) reinstating the old "prime time access" laws on Sundays from 7:00-8:00 PM/6:00-7:00 PM CT that mandated that be news or children's programming following a massive number of complaints from elderly viewers of 60 Minutes, upset that it would have aired at 3:00 PM/2:00 CT in much of the country ahead of a CBS singleheader game (and in NYC in the overnight as NYC would have gotten a "Double Singleheader" of NYG-CHI, cross-flexed from FOX at 1:00 and OAK-NYJ at 4:25) so CBS could air all of its singleheader games (except NYG-CHI in that scenario) at 4:25 PM ET with the regional games on FOX pushed back to 4:45 to make sure DAL-NE ended before the regional games kicked off.  Such would also be in response to Weeks 13-14 when the 49ers played in what became marquee games that could not be moved for other reasons. 

In this case, such games likely would be moved to ESPN as an extra doubleheader (with if MNF did move back to ABC as has been proposed, on those weeks a DH where Game 1 is a 7:45 PM ET kickoff on ABC in the east/4:45 PM PT on ESPN in the west and Game 2 is an 8:15 PM PT kickoff in the west on ABC and 11:15 PM ET on ESPN in the east) with in such scenario the network losing a game to SNF getting compensated the following season.  That I think would work and would be a compromise.

You never disappoint.  

It's one thing to flex a game by hours within the same day, but to move two games to different days might be a little much. For TV audiences, it won't be a real big deal. But for ticket holders, that might be a different story.

44 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It's one thing to flex a game by hours within the same day, but to move two games to different days might be a little much. For TV audiences, it won't be a real big deal. But for ticket holders, that might be a different story.

Teams and fans having to make late hotel changes could be problematic. Or people scheduling to see a game on a Sunday afternoon having to miss a game due to work reasons. I forsee a lot of complaints in the near future.

1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

Wally, simple question, and please make no mention of "unintended consequences", "lawmakers", "elected officials",  60 Minutes, or Hollywood stars being "seen at the game"...

The Earth...round or flat??

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

The Earth...round or flat??

Round of course

6 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Teams and fans having to make late hotel changes could be problematic. Or people scheduling to see a game on a Sunday afternoon having to miss a game due to work reasons. I forsee a lot of complaints in the near future.

That's why I think except in an extreme case it would be mainly a Sunday night-to-Monday night flex option. 

The games aren’t completely the issue. The biggest issue is have 3 morons announce for you. 

11 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The first thing that they need to do is get rid of the current MNF crew and replace them with some more talented announcers. Bring Jaws back.

Explain this to me - ESPN has Randy Moss on the payroll.  Moss is articulate, knowledgeable, easy to listen to, and he's Randy friggin' Moss.  But no, the network sticks Booger in the broadcast booth.  Because why again???

15 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

You mean DAMN! 

We need a new one. 

No doubt. I’ve missed the arguments lol. 

9 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

How about permanently flexing all Monday night games to Sunday?

Throw in TNF games to and you got a deal

33 minutes ago, paco said:

Throw in TNF games to and you got a deal

I initially didn't like the Thursday night games, but I could live with one to start the weekend off early.  I am becoming more and more disinterested in football on Monday nights, though.  I'm not really up for pretending that the weekend is one day longer after going in to work to start a work week.

19 hours ago, Captain F said:

You never disappoint.  

I was with him till he started talking about old people missing 60 minutes. Guess they will have to have games on black Friday so the owners wives can be the bell of the ball

What about.... each week 4 teams on bye.  14 games each week. 2 Games every. Single. Day.  1 NFC game and 1 AFC game. M-Th games both kicking off 630pm.  Friday kickoffs at 730pm. Saturday kickoffs at 4pm and 730pm. Sunday games at 130pm and 430pm.  No interconference games.  NFC/AFC Super Bowl. 

2 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

missing 60 minutes

That's still on? I don't really watch anything on network TV other than football and Survivor. Long running (7 years or more) TV series have come and gone and I've never even heard of them.

6 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I was with him till he started talking about old people missing 60 minutes. Guess they will have to have games on black Friday and Wednesdays so the owners wives can be the bell of the ball

fyp

On 2/11/2020 at 6:29 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

That's still on? I don't really watch anything on network TV other than football and Survivor. Long running (7 years or more) TV series have come and gone and I've never even heard of them.

Yes, 60 Minutes is still on.  Likely why FOX wound up with the Sunday late games on BOTH Divisional and Championship game weekends this past season.  CBS likely was concerned taking the 6:40 slot and not airing "60" would create unintended consequences for them.  CBS and the NFL could have been advised by the FCC for CBS to take the two primetime Saturday and early Sunday slot while FOX took the late Sunday slot because they always seemingly were exempt from the old rules because FOX did not become a full-time network until the end of the 1980's.  

5 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Yes, 60 Minutes is still on. 

I was actually just being sarcastic. But like I said, I really haven't watched any network TV other than what I mentioned, in a long time.

I remember watching 60 Minutes as a kid in the 70's, every Sunday at my grandmothers house though.

5 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I was actually just being sarcastic. But like I said, I really haven't watched any network TV other than what I mentioned, in a long time.

I remember watching 60 Minutes as a kid in the 70's, every Sunday at my grandmothers house though.

I've caught an episode here and there if it was something interesting after a game and I didn't care about the Sunday night game. They will play 60 minutes no matter how late it is. So I'm not sure once again what Wally is babbling on about. 

I would hope that flex-scheduling would be accompanied by de-Boogerizing MNF

7 minutes ago, Procus said:

I would hope that flex-scheduling would be accompanied by de-Boogerizing MNF

I would hope that it would also be accompanied by de-Thursdaying the NFL.