VaBeach_Eagle

Flex Scheduling for MNF being considered

13 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I've caught an episode here and there if it was something interesting after a game and I didn't care about the Sunday night game. They will play 60 minutes no matter how late it is. So I'm not sure once again what Wally is babbling on about. 

Anytime "60" doesn't start on time or doesn't air at all, they get complaints from older viewers who don't care about sports and go back to a time when 7:00-8:00 PM ET/6:00-7:00 PM CT on Sundays was STRICTLY News or Children's programming dating back to the old "prime time access" laws.  "60" generally covers for the old laws.  Many of those viewers are the type that go to bed early and get very upset if "60" starts even at 7:30 PM ET as it does on CBS DH weeks.  

The scenario I pointed out is where unexpectedly and just to keep SEA-PHI on SNF in Week 12 this past season would have required the NFL to reverse the DH for the first time since the late 1980's-early '90s and treat 1:00 PM as 4:25 PM normally would, forcing ALL of the CBS Singleheader games save one to likely 4:25 PM ET (because of NYC getting a "Double Singleheader" of NYG-CHI and OAK-NYG and FOX's regional games at 4:45 PM ET) that in turn because of programming already scheduled that night forcing "60" to air in much of the country at 3:00 PM/2:00 CT (and in the overnight in NYC).  As many who watch "60" don't pay attention to TV schedules, they would be tuning in at 7:00/6:00 CT expecting to see "60" but basically except in Chicago seeing football, leading to a massive number of complaints to the FCC over that.  As many of those viewers ALSO are in the core of Trump's voter base, Trump, mainly because of his long-running vendetta against the NFL might have used that to "stick it" to the NFL by using an Executive Order to fully reinstate the old laws no matter how many TV contracts were violated and other unintended consequences just to keep HIS voter base happy.

That's also why as noted CBS didn't get either late Sunday slot this time around. 

Wally, I’m sorry man. You seem like a nice guy, but I’ve gotta call BS on you man. In the days prior to the league flexing our game with the Hawks out of SNF, many suggested doing so because GB/SF was a better looking game at the time, and you were adamant that the league couldn’t due in part to the Hawks fans complaining since they hadn’t planned to see a Hawks game at 10AM local time, and due to it possibly leading the league to force the Pats/Cowboys game being played at 1:00 even though it was FOX’s game of the week that week.

Now, since it actually happened, your narrative changes to they had to do it due to complications that would have arisen had the schedule stayed the same. 

Point blank, the NFL is going to do what they feel is best for their ratings, and everyone else, including 60 Minutes fans be damned. 

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Wally, I’m sorry man. You seem like a nice guy, but I’ve gotta call BS on you man. In the days prior to the league flexing our game with the Hawks out of SNF, many suggested doing so because GB/SF was a better looking game at the time, and you were adamant that the league couldn’t due in part to the Hawks fans complaining since they hadn’t planned to see a Hawks game at 10AM local time, and due to it possibly leading the league to force the Pats/Cowboys game being played at 1:00 even though it was FOX’s game of the week that week.

Now, since it actually happened, your narrative changes to they had to do it due to complications that would have arisen had the schedule stayed the same. 

Point blank, the NFL is going to do what they feel is best for their ratings, and everyone else, including 60 Minutes fans be damned. 

No it's because trump didn't get to own a team so he wants to make sure his 60 minutes people get to watch their show!! Lol. 

Lol I'm sure the last thing on anyone's damn mind when going to vote is if trump let them watch their show

1 hour ago, bwestbrook36 said:

No it's because trump didn't get to own a team so he wants to make sure his 60 minutes people get to watch their show!! Lol. 

Lol I'm sure the last thing on anyone's damn mind when going to vote is if trump let them watch their show

Lol. Exactly. 

3 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Yes I did.  I only realized what really was behind it later on as I had based what I said on precedents from the '80s that pre-dated FOX getting involved with the NFL AND the old "prime time access" laws being strictly enforced (games had to be at 1:00 and 4:00 PM ET to keep the FCC happy) prior to NBC beginning to air NBA Playoff games on Sunday evenings at 5:30 PM ET that ran until 8:00 PM where NBC got waivers from the FCC to do that (which NBC had to get back then because the Church had greater say and some religious groups to this day associate professional sports with gambling that they frown on).  It was only in 1998 after CBS had lost the NFC Package four years earlier to FOX (who never followed the old laws because they were not a full-fledged network until after NBC began doing early Sunday evening NBA games, including Sunday night Finals games beginning with the 1991 Finals) and got the AFC package that the "prime time access" laws were relaxed, allowing the NFL to move back the late game to 4:15 PM ET and eventually 4:25.

In a perfect world, FOX would have been able to keep BOTH DAL-NE AND GB-SF AND keep DAL-NE as the main game, but at 1:00 PM while GB-SF headlined regional coverage at 4:45 (moved back from 4:25 to best assure DAL-NE ended before the regional games kicked off while as noted CBS's singleheader games would have been pushed back to 4:25 PM ET save for a single 1:00 PM game that likely is NYG-CHI cross-flexed from FOX so NYC and Chicago could see both DAL-NE and GB-SF, meaning NYC would have had a "Double Singleheader" of NYG-CHI and OAK-NYJ on CBS).  The problem was, CBS likely balked at that knowing they as it is get complaints from viewers of 60 Minutes on DH weeks where it starts at 7:30 PM ET or later and some of those go to the FCC as "60's" viewers are the one group that complains to the FCC over stuff like that.  That likely would have been 40-50 times the normal had ALL of CBS's SH games had to be pushed back to 4:25 save one with everywhere east of the Mountain Time Zone but Chicago not getting "60" when it normally airs at 7:00 PM/6:00 CT and because of other scheduled programming forcing "60" to air ahead of the CBS singleheader games in those areas at 3:00 PM/2:00 CT (except New York, where it would air in the overnight because of getting two games on CBS).  That group would have complained loudly to the point where Trump hears about it.  Given Trump's personal vendetta against the NFL, he would have likely then tried to "stick it" to the NFL by issuing an Executive Order immediately reinstating the old "prime time access" laws to where the NFL suddenly had to go back to 1:00 and 4:00 PM or move the early games up to 12:30 PM ET.  This likely was why CBS did not have the 6:40 PM ET slot on either Sunday of the NFL playoffs this time around, especially given the political climate we are currently in as I'm sure CBS and the NFL were well aware of Trump's vendetta. 

THAT is why I think the NFL does a three-part make-up to the Eagles this season with the Week 1 Sunday Night game (at home against the same Seahawks that got flexed out in Week 12) and then Thanksgiving night at home against the Ravens and the following Thursday night against the Cowboys as none of those can be flexed out.  Under normal circumstances, Seahawks-Eagles in Week 12 would NOT have been flexed out but keeping it there would have resulted in massive unintended consequences noted above. That's also why I think we will see an SNF-to-MNF option in case we have a repeat of Weeks 12-14 (the subsequent two weeks under normal circumstances the 49ers would ALSO have been moved to SNF but doing so would have created a logistical nightmare that an SNF-to-MNF flex option fixes). 

9 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Omfg look what you started

I’m sorry. 

39 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I’m sorry. 

Lol queen of the ball . Did you even read any of that? It seems like to much haha

19 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Lol queen of the ball . Did you even read any of that? It seems like to much haha

I started to, but every time he goes on like that, my eyes tear up and I can’t follow. 

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I started to, but every time he goes on like that, my eyes tear up and I can’t follow. 

My eyes tear up every time he makes a post

I just wish the NFL made more money so it could compete with juggernauts like 60 minutes. 

2 hours ago, paco said:

I just wish the NFL made more money so it could compete with juggernauts like 60 minutes. 

😂😂🤣

If they played games on Fridays, there would be no conflict with 60 Minutes.  You wouldn't have to have a double singleheader so that fans in Chicago could watch both DAL-NE and GB-SEA and watch the Bears versus the Giants, complimenting the double singleheader with the Jets, who would open up as the Chiefs opponent so that the NFL gets the coveted New York market on opening night AND get the Jets' primetime game out of the way.  Of course, you would then have to move the second game of the double singleheader to 4:45 and have the regional games start at 4:25 so that each game does not finish at the same time, AND the prime game starts after the 1:00 game finishes, with regional games finishing before the prime game finishes. With an extra Jaguars' game in London, you would have a 10:00 AM EST start time, further staggering games and having less competition in the 4:00 spot, even though some games would have to start at 4:15 and some at 4:25, with the prime game starting at 4:45 to allow the coveted New York market to tune in. You could further stagger games by having the Rams play in the coveted 10:00 PM spot on Sunday night, but the game would be on CBS, allowing 60 Minutes to begin at 7:00. NBC would relinquish control of the Sunday night spot in this case, and would have exclusive control over the Sunday night of the Oscars in return.  This 10:00 game would be hosted by the Rams because it would be a great chance to have celebrities at the game on national TV, since they go to game to see and be seen.  This 10:00 PM spot would further be coveted because Millennials increasingly watch TV on THEIR time, and late games have drawn in big ratings, as evidenced by the 2002 World Series and 2003 World Series. That would give you two West Coast prime time games at different times, which would pull in the coveted West coast markets.

But don't forget, a double singleheader on the Wednesday after Labor Day to open up the season, then having two of the teams play the next Tuesday, and get TWO bye weeks after that, would possibly open up the chance for each team to get TWO primetime games per season under this scenario.  That would let the NFL showcase the Jets and corner the coveted New York market even more.

21 hours ago, paco said:

Every time I'm over my parents' for dinner on a Sunday afternoon during football season, they inevitably try to turn on 60 Minutes and react in exasperation asking why it's not on. I seriously have to tell them why on at least 5 separate occasions every year that its delayed until the game is over.

I dont know why there is hatred for the play by play guy.  I like him and love the fact that he even gets excited for a 5 yard reception.  WIDE OPEN for a 5 yard gain  I would take him over Buck any day of the week