Wallyhorse

CBA discussion thread

This could happen as early as next season, with a 17-game schedule possible in 2021:

With this, the NFL should go to NBA-style seeding, where winning your division ONLY guarantees you a playoff berth and nothing else (in other words, you win a very weak division, you are the #7 seed and at the #2 seed in the first round).  As I would do it, division champs ONLY would get seeding preference over a Wild Card if they have the same record.  

Just read the details.  A 14 team playoff would be stupid.  Nearly half the league?  There will be a 8-8 or even 7-9 teams in it every year.  Lame.

This is a nice way to ensure that the #1 seeds in each conference make the Super Bowl. I think it will inevitably lead to a more predictable conference championship weekend every year.

Greed of the NFL is going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. This would be awful.

If my format of NBA-style seeding were used for the 2019 playoffs with the additional team:

AFC would have been unchanged EXCEPT for an additional WC game of Steelers-Chiefs (Steelers would have been the #7 seed).

NFC would have been as follows:

Bye: #1 49ers
#7 Rams at #2 Packers
#6 Eagles at #3 Saints
#5 Vikings at #4 Seahawks
(Seahawks with a better record than the Eagles would have been the #4 seed and the Vikings also with a better record would have been the #5 seed). 

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Hate the idea. 

Well it's happening it just passed. Cause once again the players wanted nothing to do with an expanded regular season which I think is worse then an extra playoff game. Although I think both suck. 

1 hour ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Well it's happening it just passed. Cause once again the players wanted nothing to do with an expanded regular season which I think is worse then an extra playoff game. Although I think both suck. 

I do too. 

It's adding in 2 more teams overall.... Seriously.... Is it really as bad as some of you are claiming?

It's not like we haven't seen teams with subpar records getting into the postseason just because they played in a weak division...

A sticking point with some I'm sure --->"Additionally, the players on teams that earn a first-round bye will receive postseason pay for that weekend. That was not the case under the current CBA, which has always rankled some players."

Which is prolly why the players union agreed to it.

They are also dropping the preseason down to 3 games and adding in 1 extra regular season game.

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Now let's see if the players agree to this. I'd imagine they'll go back with their terms and then it'll be a negotiation?

No, if the player reps agree, it then goes to the players and if the majority of them agree, once signed, a new CBA will be in place through 2029.

9 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

No, if the player reps agree, it then goes to the players and if the majority of them agree, once signed, a new CBA will be in place through 2029.

Ok but what I'm saying is will it really be that straight forward? Most negotiations go back and forth a little.

1 hour ago, Mr_Bueno said:

It's adding in 2 more teams overall.... Seriously.... Is it really as bad as some of you are claiming?

It's not like we haven't seen teams with subpar records getting into the postseason just because they played in a weak division...

A sticking point with some I'm sure --->"Additionally, the players on teams that earn a first-round bye will receive postseason pay for that weekend. That was not the case under the current CBA, which has always rankled some players."

Which is prolly why the players union agreed to it.

They are also dropping the preseason down to 3 games and adding in 1 extra regular season game.

Aww to bad the players don't get paid during a week they don't play. Also that extra game has not been agreed on and they think the playoff expansion will likely get agreed on before an extra regular season game by the players. 

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ok but what I'm saying is will it really be that straight forward? Most negotiations go back and forth a little.

Yes, if they agree to it, if not, then there will be negotiations. But look at my last post, it's not likely highly paid players will agree to a 17th week being capped at $250K.

Just now, bwestbrook36 said:

I can see the players hating that

Yeah, not likely they agree to that.

One thing I do see potentially coming out of this:

The regular season ends on Saturday instead of Sunday with all teams in one conference at 3:05 PM ET and the other at 7:40 PM ET divided up between ALL of the NFL's broadcast partners.  Ending it on Saturday instead of Sunday would allow for the NFL to instead of a 1:00 PM ET game on Saturday have the first WC game actually be in prime time on Friday night at say 8:30 PM ET/5:30 PM PT.  The additional prime time playoff game likely would bring in far more revenue and could then be done where NBC gets prime time WC playoff games on Friday and Saturday if that is the same weekend as the Golden Globes and ESPN/ABC getting their game on Sunday night in prime time opposite the Globes.  

This sucks. Now the Giants have more opportunities to sneak in at 7-9 or 8-8 and win the whole thing. Also we have injury prone Wentz. An extra game with him at QB is not a good thing.

Don't be surprised if this goes as planned that every four years the NFL has to start the season earlier in late August in order to have the Super Bowl during the Winter Olympics UNLESS those happen to be in the Southern Hemisphere when they could then be held during the traditional summer dates.  The International Olympic Committee is the ONE governing body with the power to for example in 2022 demand the NFL move the Super Bowl up a week so it doesn't overlap the Beijing Winter Olympics or discourage countries wanting to host an Olympics from doing business with the NFL or deny any and all bids for a US Olympic games. 

1 minute ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Here we go this Friday game crap again. 

Friday prime time would do way better than Saturday afternoon.  Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it's crap.