Wallyhorse

CBA discussion thread

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

That is outrageous. How does union leadership allow this to happen?

By the way (and obviously), any players making over $4 million get cheated.

40 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

That really only covers a small percentage of players. The bulk of the NFL are 'low paid' in comparison. I think it was said that only 3 or 4 percent or maybe 5, would get 'shafted' while 95% would get a sizable increase in their pay. That's why players like Watt and Brees were against it while the lower paid players were for it.

In the end though, the players knew what was in the CBA before they voted. So it was their choice to approve it. Union leadership can make recommendations, but ultimately, it comes down to a vote and whichever way the union members vote, that's the way it is.

I would also assume that all new contracts will fix that. So let's say that the Eagles bring Jason Peters back tomorrow. He has no contract right now, but he'll sign a new contract tomorrow and that new contract will be for a 17 game schedule (assuming there's actually a 17 game schedule this season) and that 17th game could be worth $2 Million (or whatever his contract pays him per game). But since Lane Johnson is already under contract, he'll max out in that 17th game at $250,000.00.

This isn't a permanent thing, this is just for the small time that the old '16 game' contracts are still running. Eventually, all of those contracts will expire or be terminated and no longer have any effect. At least that's my understanding of it.

54 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

I meant to address this part and forgot.

If we just look at the Eagles roster, and if we assume a 17 game schedule for 2020, only 5 players would be affected (in 2020).

Cox, Johnson, Jeffery, Ertz and Jackson

1 hour ago, SBorBust said:

I thought that was changed though? Not sure 100 percent though. That tweet is from Feb 20th. Here is an article from March 15th:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/03/15/nfl-cba-collective-bargaining-agreement-changes-details/4878786002/

"One sticking point in the negotiations was how players would be paid for this additional game. An initial proposal would've capped the amount at $250,000 per player, but that was since changed to ensure that players will receive the full prorated value of their contracts, even if it exceeds that amount."

Looking into it further, articles written in March all say the 250,000 dollar cap for the 17th game was a sticking point and removed to get players to agree to the deal.

10 minutes ago, boogyman said:

I thought that was changed though? Not sure 100 percent though. That tweet is from Feb 20th. Here is an article from March 15th:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/03/15/nfl-cba-collective-bargaining-agreement-changes-details/4878786002/

"One sticking point in the negotiations was how players would be paid for this additional game. An initial proposal would've capped the amount at $250,000 per player, but that was since changed to ensure that players will receive the full prorated value of their contracts, even if it exceeds that amount."

Looking into it further, articles written in March all say the 250,000 dollar cap for the 17th game was a sticking point and removed to get players to agree to the deal.

That could be, I hadn't heard that it was changed, but I wasn't following too closely.

6 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

That could be, I hadn't heard that it was changed, but I wasn't following too closely.

Everything I can find that has been written about the agreement in the month of March says it was removed. That, some more retirement benefits and a few other things were changed to get the players to agree. 

"Owners agreed to remove $250K cap on the 17th game check for existing contracts, but rejected a proposal to shorten offseason, Pelissero reported."

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001103240/article/nflpa-proposed-cba-sent-for-full-membership-vote?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league%3Bplyr%3Dbenjamin_watson%3Bplyr%3Drichard_sherman%3Bplyr%3Drussell_okung&p.ct=Around the NFL&p.adsm=true&p.tcm=%23fff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp

Again I am not 100 percent certain though.